Following customs (task 2)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
raghadmamd

Following customs (task 2)

Post by raghadmamd »

Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behaviour. Others disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

It is obvious that each country has its own culture which impacts the people customs and behaviour. Many people believe foreign visitors should behave similarly to the local people in the country visited while others think that it is not a necessity. In this essay, I will explain both points of view and give my personal viewpoint.
It is now the norm to see many different foreign tourists in your country. Following the customs in another country can be considered as a show of respect especially if these habits are related to holy beliefs. For example, it is not appropriate to wear short dresses or see through clothes in Muslim countries. It is also worth mentioning that putting a scarf while entering a holy place either a mosque or a church is really appreciated by the local people.
Another reason for following the customs is that the visitors sometimes try to show their emotions and love to that country. For instance, people in the United Arab Emirates used to wear clothes similar to their flag during their national day celebrations and in this occasion it is very popular to see many foreigners dressed in same way as a way of showing love to the UAE.
Turning to the other side of the argument, a group of people think that the people in each country should accept differences in cultures. Such as wearing a tie in a formal meeting for men as it is not common in some countries. Also for people who are living in country other than their native countries, they should not give up all their beliefs especially religion ones.
To sum up, following local customs of another country has different aspects and great debate. From my own opinion, I think it is great kindness to follow customs which associated with feeling of respect, otherwise everyone should behave in his own manner
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Following customs (task 2)

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Overall a very good essay. Grammar isn't great, but you use a variety of structures and mistakes do not change meaning. Vocabulary is very good with some high-level items. One thing that I really like - and it's very difficult to get correct - is the tone of the essay. Sometimes, a little more development might be good, especially in the third main paragraph. My first thought was, "OK, so Muslims should be able to wear their religious clothing in London, so Christians should be able to wear crosses in Mecca". You views would be appreciated, as we both know the actual situation.

All the best,
David
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Following customs (task 2)

Post by Flick »

raghadmamd wrote:Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behaviour. Others disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

It is obvious that each country has its own culture which impacts the people's customs and behaviour. Many people believe foreign visitors should behave similarly to the local people in the country visited, while others think that it is not a necessity. In this essay, I will explain both points of view and give my personal viewpoint.

It is now the norm to see many different foreign tourists in your country. Following the customs in another country can be considered as a show of respect, especially if these habits are related to holy beliefs. For example, it is not appropriate to wear short dresses or see-through clothes in Muslim countries. It is also worth mentioning that wearing a scarf while entering a holy place, either a mosque or a church, is really appreciated by the local people.

Another reason for following the customs is that the visitors sometimes try to show their emotions and love to that country. For instance, people in the United Arab Emirates used to wear clothes similar to their flag during their national day celebrations and on this occasion it is very common to see many foreigners dressed in same way as a way of showing love to the UAE.

Turning to the other side of the argument, a group of people think that the people in each country should accept differences in cultures. For example, men wearing a tie in a formal meeting is not common in some countries. Also, for people who are living in a country other than their native country, they should not give up all their beliefs, especially religion ones.

To sum up, following the local customs of another country has different aspects and makes for a great debate. From my own opinion, I think it is great kindness to follow customs which are associated with a feeling of respect, otherwise everyone should behave in his own manner.