Ashish, from Melbourne, Au

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
ashish

Ashish, from Melbourne, Au

Post by ashish »

hello ryan and everyone ....

lot to share.. dont know where to start.. but, here i am and i have created my account , so, i hope eventually we will get to each and every information i want to share,as well as, want to learn from different people from around the world. it is so amazing and inspiring , i must say...

to ryan. i have been tweeting on your wall as ( @aacsh ) , and thanks for replying.

i have been living in melbourne from past 8 years and now planning to get my permanent visas as per my will to reside here for long term.

i came to melbourne as student with little knowledge of english... i studied back home - Surat, Gujarat, India - in gujarati medium and come from a farming family.

although, i took classes for three months at a coaching class about IELTS and gave my first ever IELTS exam in india in month of july 2006.. i must tell you that i obtained bands in Writing.

now coming to present - i have recently done 2 ielts, one 0n 10 may and one on 17 may.

last year i gave ielts for 10 times- because the visa subclass i have applied for need 7 in each module.

couple of times, last year, i missed with 0.5 in either writing or speaking. many of times i was getting results on friday and sitting IELTS very next day.. a word from me -- never do this..please.

this year, i have been very focused and studied hard with Ryan's ebook . how to write at level 9 - its a magical book . i must say - first time ever - i was able to get 7 in writing on 10 may 2014. but, to my bad luck.. the speaking examiner gave me 6 . the very same center has awarded me 7.5 in speaking not once ,but, twice.

To my surprise, centers - all around Melbourne - have awarded me 6.5 in writing, i fail to understand - how can i improve just a half a band in writing in eight years- while my reading has - not once - but - five times - i have scored continuously 8 bands .. and the exam i did in july 2oo6 - i had obtained - 5.5 in rerading.

anyways. the point here i want to make is - the whole process of examining is in question - to some extent.

my experience has not been good at all.. personal life has been affected ever since i have started doing exam.

in may 2010- i did my IELTS at NMIT Melbourne . i was 0.5 less in writing - on askin for EOR - i was awarded 0.5 in remark .. with speaking bands - 7 in the same exam.

on 17 may - i set with IDP melbourne - got three 7.5 and 6.5 writing -- this is a last chance for me - i have asked for EOR. i have a lots of hope, since i have 1 band extra in speaking.

on 10 may .. i had obtained 7 in writing , 6 in speaking , 6.6 in listening , 8 in reading - asked for EOR - already received - with no change..

the theory of 2 band discrepancy applies here - i guess - after lots of reading on - DC ielts and IELTS -Simon.

wish me luck guys, Ryan.

thanks for reading and please share and ask any thing related to IELTS - one thing is for sure- after doing this many times- i have got no fear at all to face IELTS at any given time and i will do best.

i hope with my knowledge i will be able to help any one - that would be so grateful .. but not to the extent where ryan is .. your work is wonderful. cannt explain in words.. just thanks heaps.

any information about Enquiry on Result .. please share your experience ..

thanks a lot, Cheers.
atmahesh

Re: Ashish, from Melbourne, Au

Post by atmahesh »

I would suggest you to improve your english rather than rushing for ielts attempt again.

Take a break of 2-3 months , watch English movies , read english books and I hope when you will reattempt it with fresh mind, you can get ielts score easily.

In any case, Good luck.

Feel free to add me @ skype ---atul.grit if you want to discuss more.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ashish wrote:hello ryan and everyone ....

lot to share.. dont know where to start.. but, here i am and i have created my account , so, i hope eventually we will get to each and every information i want to share,as well as, want to learn from different people from around the world. it is so amazing and inspiring , i must say...

to ryan. i have been tweeting on your wall as ( @aacsh ) , and thanks for replying.

i have been living in melbourne from past 8 years and now planning to get my permanent visas as per my will to reside here for long term.

i came to melbourne as student with little knowledge of english... i studied back home - Surat, Gujarat, India - in gujarati medium and come from a farming family.

although, i took classes for three months at a coaching class about IELTS and gave my first ever IELTS exam in india in month of july 2006.. i must tell you that i obtained bands in Writing.

now coming to present - i have recently done 2 ielts, one 0n 10 may and one on 17 may.

last year i gave ielts for 10 times- because the visa subclass i have applied for need 7 in each module.

couple of times, last year, i missed with 0.5 in either writing or speaking. many of times i was getting results on friday and sitting IELTS very next day.. a word from me -- never do this..please.

this year, i have been very focused and studied hard with Ryan's ebook . how to write at level 9 - its a magical book . i must say - first time ever - i was able to get 7 in writing on 10 may 2014. but, to my bad luck.. the speaking examiner gave me 6 . the very same center has awarded me 7.5 in speaking not once ,but, twice.

To my surprise, centers - all around Melbourne - have awarded me 6.5 in writing, i fail to understand - how can i improve just a half a band in writing in eight years- while my reading has - not once - but - five times - i have scored continuously 8 bands .. and the exam i did in july 2oo6 - i had obtained - 5.5 in rerading.

anyways. the point here i want to make is - the whole process of examining is in question - to some extent.

my experience has not been good at all.. personal life has been affected ever since i have started doing exam.

in may 2010- i did my IELTS at NMIT Melbourne . i was 0.5 less in writing - on askin for EOR - i was awarded 0.5 in remark .. with speaking bands - 7 in the same exam.

on 17 may - i set with IDP melbourne - got three 7.5 and 6.5 writing -- this is a last chance for me - i have asked for EOR. i have a lots of hope, since i have 1 band extra in speaking.

on 10 may .. i had obtained 7 in writing , 6 in speaking , 6.6 in listening , 8 in reading - asked for EOR - already received - with no change..

the theory of 2 band discrepancy applies here - i guess - after lots of reading on - DC ielts and IELTS -Simon.

wish me luck guys, Ryan.

thanks for reading and please share and ask any thing related to IELTS - one thing is for sure- after doing this many times- i have got no fear at all to face IELTS at any given time and i will do best.

i hope with my knowledge i will be able to help any one - that would be so grateful .. but not to the extent where ryan is .. your work is wonderful. cannt explain in words.. just thanks heaps.

any information about Enquiry on Result .. please share your experience ..

thanks a lot, Cheers.
Hi Ashish,

Very nice to chat with you here. I don't log into my Twitter account as often as I should. (It is set up to automatically post my Facebook feed, so it may appear as though I'm tweeting.)

Wow. Quite the story. I'm truly happy to hear you've hit the 7+ Writing band a few times, but I can't imagine the frustration over not having the bands align across the different skills.

All I can say is that you are right to remain determined. Allowing yourself to get frustrated and blame the exam doesn't help anything. You will hit your dream performance at some point. Keep yourself focused.

I hope this community proves useful to your IELTS endeavours.

A warm welcome to the forum,
Ryan
Threin

Post by Threin »

Hi Ashis,

I am new here in the forum and it so happen that i came across with your post and i can say that you have undergone a lot of trouble in pursuing your goal and its not frustrating but rather inspiring...
I myself is also preparing for the same as I am not sure what will be the result of this undertaking and or to what extent of "Grace" does the IELTS personnel will give me..

its been 2 weeks now since I started my preparation and I am planning to go with this routine for a month and if I feel like its not enough then I will extend this up to a month more.. I know this is nothing compared to your preparation and what you have shared to us was really and highly appreciated..

Will pray for your success on future endeavor..

Threin
ashish

Post by ashish »

thanks everyone and Ryan,

it is glad to see your reply,, from watching your videos and learning -- to now- talking to you - is such an amazing experience.'

and also, it was such a great feeling to see how people help each other out over here.. all needs a thumbs up !

i am already visiting this site quite a lot and will be doing so even i pass out my ielts ad will spread the word for sure in my contacts.

cheers guys and Ryan !
thanks a lot !
Ashish.
neena kaukab

Post by neena kaukab »

Hi Ashish
my name is Neena and I am new on this forum.I have read about your struggle and I really appreciate your efforts.I am really impressed with your great reading skills because that is my very weak side ,I will be very greatefull to you if you could share your prepration strategy or way you attempt reading section.that will be a great help for me as I am planning to appear in exame a month later.

kind regards
Neena kaukab
ashish

Post by ashish »

hi neena,

great to see your message on my post, thanks for reading and for your kind words,

yes,i do enjoy reading - thats the foremost things if you want to achieve higher band - the reason being is - during exam- there are many chances where you will completely loose the plot of being in the exam and you will delve further in understanding of the context- yes- we have to understand the whole meaning of the para- but - not that much that we loose time - so for that not to happen- please read the last para- i am assuming - you will be doing the general ielts- carefully and with more time then other paras in the exam-

be careful with yes- no - not given- you will only improve with practice - no magic will apply here- so - try to read highly complex reading - such as from bbc or any other major website ,, pick a para and start reading and then try to understand what is being said, this way you will be powerful reader,, for sure,

dont force yourself in reading too much- if your not happy - not in the mood- leave it-- believe me - its not going to help at all- try to read as much as you can-- thats what i have been hearing and seeing over the net from the experienced ielts tutors and others like wise,,

most important -read what you like- read about your interest - read what you enjoy -- because - at the end - its all english - :)

dont listen to people who says - read novel - they are good- believe me - in the exam - its not at all like the novel - so next time you see any pamphlet or a advertisement in your letter box- dont trow it away.. they are the first 7 to 8 questions of the exam. and you will know what exactly it is asking - because thats what they are posting in the exam- some time - some time - its reflects otherwise -- its either - ads or - yes - no - not given-- rest remains same,,

i am sure you would know -- who reading exam is formed.. for example - the first section is what i just said before . the second will be - work related para - it also followed by the same related questions- by then - you would have reached 27 to 28 questions - after that -remaining 13 to 14 questions - are from the last para -- which i said need more time.. i approach like this.. i read the whole last para.. not looking at questions at all - read it nicely with understanding each lines,

and then approach from 27 to 40.
do it quick- time is running - always remember- cannt find it - leave it - jump to next - but what ever you write -- please make sure you dont have to go back and correct it. those are very valuable marks - because it will make or break the total out come-

to see how many you need - go to this link -

http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_ ... rting.aspx

best of luck -- as you have asked - ask anytime --it is my pleasure to help - i believe you will get more then what you need - for sure.

cheers !
Ashish.
neena kaukab

Post by neena kaukab »

Hi Ashish thanks a lot for your email but I couldn't find the reply button in my inbox so I had to come out of my inbox and then to reply you on Introduce yourself. If you know how to reply from inbox kindly do let me know as well.

Kind Regards,
Neena.
Pkhatawa

Post by Pkhatawa »

To Ashish and Ryan!

Ashish, first of all...your determination is commendable, coz it is not just that the exam and score matters but the willingness to excel and test oneself does matter most!! I appeared twice and missed by a half band - in writing, and surprisingly in listening respectively! However, thankfully people like Ryan are around, who advised me not to blame the exam and the examiner, but to work on the weak areas. One needs to learn own ways! e.g. I learned that I should attempt essay first, and then the letter. Also, including one of the own experience related to the essay topic might have an added advantage. Moreover, linking words and phrases too are important to show that what one can do differently to express ideas and thoughts. After all, spelling and punctuation too is important - I think. The benefit of writing with purpose and evidence is helping me in my professional work - that's a bonus, isn't it? Let's preserve such a learning attitude, and it will surely help us in the long run!

Last word - take a break! relax and work only on weak areas! we all need that 'extra' mile!! :)

Ryan - thanks for reinforcing that, 'it is right to determine oneself'. :)
ashish

Post by ashish »

@neena

your welcome

Ashish
ashish

Post by ashish »

@Pkhatawa

thanks a lot- if i dedicate my self to anything - i will peruse it badly - with full interest ! i am sure with your knowledge of IELTS you will not be disappointed - with 6.5 in module - we are getting three 7s anyway- so we are there. i have one more EOR coming where i had three 7.5 and a 6.5 in writing - hopefully i will be having peaceful sleep - soon !

cheers - best of luck- i want to have break but with this one head - you really cannt focus anywhere else. trust me - once is done than i will be seeing my parents back home ! :)

thanks
Ashish