I am new here

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
shourav00

I am new here

Post by shourav00 »

I am Shourav. I am very much dishearten with my IELTS score. I need a overall band score of 7 but can not achieve. I wish everybody will help me.
thanks
ashish

Re: I am new here

Post by ashish »

hi there..

dont worry too much my friend..since you havent said exactly where you are lacking ,, my suggestion would be to you - to read as much as you can - read what you like - and related to your interests.

I am sure you will not only improve your english over all , but also it will help you understand the complexity of wording in english.

be positive - achieving 7 bands overall is not a hard task.

have fun reading !
Ashish
kannu

Post by kannu »

me tooo very disappointed from my ielts score as previously i was lacking in speaking and now i am lacking in writing and reading. i had sit for the ielts on june 7 ,2014 and i scored L-7 R-6 W5.5 S-7.5. please any body give me suggestions for the gt exam. how should i improve as i m planning to resit the exam on july19.
ashish

Post by ashish »

hi kannu,

great to see your message on my post, thanks for reading and for your kind words,

yes,i do enjoy reading - thats the foremost things if you want to achieve higher band - the reason being is - during exam- there are many chances where you will completely loose the plot of being in the exam and you will delve further in understanding of the context- yes- we have to understand the whole meaning of the para- but - not that much that we loose time - so for that not to happen- please read the last para- i am assuming - you will be doing the general ielts- carefully and with more time then other paras in the exam-

be careful with yes- no - not given- you will only improve with practice - no magic will apply here- so - try to read highly complex reading - such as from bbc or any other major website ,, pick a para and start reading and then try to understand what is being said, this way you will be powerful reader,, for sure,

dont force yourself in reading too much- if your not happy - not in the mood- leave it-- believe me - its not going to help at all- try to read as much as you can-- thats what i have been hearing and seeing over the net from the experienced ielts tutors and others like wise,,

most important -read what you like- read about your interest - read what you enjoy -- because - at the end - its all english - :)

dont listen to people who says - read novel - they are good- believe me - in the exam - its not at all like the novel - so next time you see any pamphlet or a advertisement in your letter box- dont trow it away.. they are the first 7 to 8 questions of the exam. and you will know what exactly it is asking - because thats what they are posting in the exam- some time - some time - its reflects otherwise -- its either - ads or - yes - no - not given-- rest remains same,,

i am sure you would know -- who reading exam is formed.. for example - the first section is what i just said before . the second will be - work related para - it also followed by the same related questions- by then - you would have reached 27 to 28 questions - after that -remaining 13 to 14 questions - are from the last para -- which i said need more time.. i approach like this.. i read the whole last para.. not looking at questions at all - read it nicely with understanding each lines,

and then approach from 27 to 40.
do it quick- time is running - always remember- cannt find it - leave it - jump to next - but what ever you write -- please make sure you dont have to go back and correct it. those are very valuable marks - because it will make or break the total out come-

to see how many you need - go to this link -

http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_ ... rting.aspx

best of luck -- as you have asked - ask anytime --it is my pleasure to help - i believe you will get more then what you need - for sure.

cheers !
Ashish.
kannu

Post by kannu »

Hello ashish
Thank you for such a detailed view to make me understand about reading and it really helped me to think what should be done. Now please tell me about the writing too.