task 2 advertisements (please assess)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
raghadmamd

task 2 advertisements (please assess)

Post by raghadmamd »

Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

In recent decades, advertising has become a regular daily scene. A growing number of people believe that our choices are influenced by advertisement more than being ultimate needs while others think that nobody buys something only because of advertisement. In this essay, I will explain both points of views and my opinion.

Nowadays, there is a dramatic development in technology which affects advertisement industry. It is very popular now to see adverts in television or through the internet or even while waiting for public transport. The influence of the advertisements definitely increases if they use a strong message on it. For example, APPLE electronic company is used to promote for its product long time before its release with a great level of suspense so we almost see their customers are waiting a long line one night before the product being released and they are proud to be the first user of it.
Another point is the promotions and sales, many people cannot avoid these types of advertisements, so they are subconsciously buying so many items which they are not in need for them whenever they are in the mall or shopping centre and moreover usually they buy brands which had attractive advertisements irrespective of the product quality.
Turning to the other side of the argument, a different group of people is in favour of limiting your sales to what you need and to buy only products which you are sure of its quality either by self-experience or known person experience. To reach this goal, you may have a list of what you need items before shopping and a limited budget so you will not be deceived by promotions.
To conclude, advertisements have great influences on our shopping. In my point of view, I believe that high extents of our shopping are being because of either direct or indirect effects of advertisements.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: task 2 advertisements (please assess)

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

The main problem is that you are not being very specific in your essay. How do you know we are being subconsciously influenced? How do you know - and distinguish between - what people WANT and what they NEED?

Giving more specific examples would be a good idea and/or indicating what different situations and circumstances influence how we shop and respond to advertisements.

I have seen thousands of advertisements for cars. I have never even learnt to drive.

All the best,
David
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: task 2 advertisements (please assess)

Post by Flick »

raghadmamd wrote:Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

In recent decades, advertising has become a regular daily occurrence. A growing number of people believe that our choices are influenced by advertisements more than being ultimate needs, while others think that nobody buys something purely based on advertising. In this essay, I will explain both points of views and share my opinion.

Recently, there has been a dramatic development in technology which has affected the advertising industry. It is very popular now to see adverts on television or through the internet or even while waiting for public transport. The influence of these advertisements definitely increases if they use a strong message. For example, Apple, an electronics company, promotes its product a long time before release. This builds the level of suspense so we often see their customers waiting in a long line the night before the product is released, and they are proud to be the new product's first user.

Another point is promotions and sales. Many people cannot avoid these types of advertisements, so they are subconsciously buying many items which they do not need whenever they are in the mall or shopping centre. Moreover, they usually buy brands which have attractive advertisements irrespective of the product quality.

Turning to the other side of the argument, a different group of people is in favour of limiting shopping to what you need and to buy only products you know are well made, either by self-experience or personal recommendation. To reach this goal, you may prepare a list of necessary items before shopping and a limited budget so you will not be deceived by promotions.

To conclude, advertisements have great influence on our shopping. In my point of view, I believe that today's increased consumerism is because of either direct or indirect effects of advertisements.