please suggest

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
swetam

please suggest

Post by swetam »

Hi All,
I have been reading quite a lot about how to score good for IELTS and i have been following it since quite a lot of time. I have given twice IELTS. I would like to share what problems that i face in IELTS & I hope you can help me just like you help others, hence i am sending you PM. I am listing down my problems & along with that my scores, please advise how can i score more.

Below are my problems that i face:

1. LISTENING: (1st attempt: 7.5 & 2nd: 6.5) By the time i reach last few questions in section 3 & section 4 i cant concentrate. I try my best but cant do it somehow. but one thing that i can see good about listening i that i am consistent in scoring but it doesn't increase from 34 to 36 :(
2. READING: (1st attempt: 6.5 & 2nd: 6.5)The biggest worry is T/F/NG. I always get them wrong. this days i have started getting wrong answers even in paragraph listing. And my scores are not at all increasing. I concentrate too much but its not helping.
3. WRITING: (1st attempt: 7.5 & 2nd: 6.5) I am good at writing & am working on including new vocab in my essays & letters. Mostly i get stuck in Letters.
4. SPEAKING: (1st attempt: 6.5 & 2nd: 7) I am working hard to be more confident while i speak. I generally face problem after the 2 minute talk.

Currently i devote 2 hours for studies - on week days i focus on reading & writing & doing few topics on speaking. On saturdays meet friends to take my speaking test. On sundays i do mock test where i do listening as well as i have an off & can give more time.

Please suggest what i need to do to increase my score.
Ryan

Re: please suggest

Post by Ryan »

Hi swetam,

As far as listening is concerned, often a strategy that works for one person will not work for another. The importance is to experiment until you find something that works for you. On a recent episode of IELTSCast, I talked to Varun. For listening, the very first thing he would do is read the questions for section 3 and 4. He did this during the time he was given to prep for sections 1 and 2. His strategy was to assume that section 1 is going to be relatively easy, and thus the preparation time can be used better elsewhere.

For T/F/NG, it's important to remember that NG is for the complete absence of information. F is in response to statements that are clearly inaccurate based on the text.

Your 7.5 in writing means you're doing something right. Keep polishing the grammar. User SyntaxFox is back correcting the writing posted here, so you'll likely receive some feedback from her.

Confidence is important. If I were you, I would also do exercises to train myself to speak at length. If you listen to IELTSCast, you'll remember Toby's strategy of training to speak at lengths longer than two minutes. This will help to make Part 2 of your exam that much easier.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
swetam

Post by swetam »

Thanks Ryan,

I will follow the your advise on same. Also i have started listening to ieltscast & will keep all in my mind & practise.

I have also decided to start doing mock test on daily basis from next week onwards as i have got almost 18 tests with me. Thus i will be able to concentration on all modules.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Push yourself, swetam. With enough training, you will get the mark you need.
Chi

Post by Chi »

Hi Swetam,

From what you described, it seems like you are having some difficulty in maintaining your focus throughout the test. Make sure you are aware of this and try to avoid letting your thoughts wander. Don't worry about spelling or wondering about any previous parts. Reading the questions and speculate what information you will be looking for is helpful, but I didn't find jumping from one section to another is very helpful because I feel it could cause distraction. I'd rather make sure to score 10 on the Section 1, because that's quite easy, than risking it for other sections. Anyway, as Ryan said, experience different strategies and find what suits you the best.

Also remember that you won't score 7 if your English level is just 6 (this is just an example), so do other exercises to improve your English in general beside focusing on tactics and strategies. Train yourself to think in English, and talk to yourself in English, maybe that will help?

All the best to you!
swetam

Post by swetam »

Thank you Ryan & chi. :)