Todays Questions in written exam-15th March-GT

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
saqibali

Todays Questions in written exam-15th March-GT

Post by saqibali »

Today’s Questions in General Exam:
Write a letter to a restaurant next to your home regarding a repair work that you are going to undertake at your home.
Tell him about type of work
How it can cause problem to manager
What measure you would advise the manager

Write an essay on following
Money help us bring happiness but some people think that extra money creates problems also.
Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons and examples from your knowledge and experience.
My response took the second part of sentences as target because I supposed that I only need to discuss
IS EXTRA money creates problems? So the first part that money bring happiness need not to be discussed. We only need to discuss IF EXTRA MONEY CREATE PROBLEMS?
I given examples from my life on how I used extra money to bring something valuable and I proved that extra money always bring something good and it never created problems.
Limited free classes and unlimited best IELTS material at below link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/IELTS-No ... 3123916148
mari

Re: Todays Questions in written exam-15th March-GT

Post by mari »

Well nice thinking saqib.

I wrote in a general way that how the race of money has driven people away from others ( like relatives and friends) people become self centered. I gave example of celebrities( actresses, athletes, politicians etc) who inspite of having lots of money often live alone.
My second opinion was that people cannot buy love. Alot of movies r made on this topic( how rich person commits sucide and they cannot win heart of others with money.) gave example of titanic.
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

It is a frequent topic of discussion whether money brings happiness to people or creates more problems to us. While I accept that having too much money may cause some problems to some people, it seems to me that money usually serves us in a good way.

On the one hand, it is true that having too much money could have negative impacts to our life. To begin with, being too rich often makes people lose their motivation of life. This is because wealthy people can easily get whatever they want and they therefore may not need to try their best to serve our society like doing a professional job such as an engineer or even a scientist. Furthermore, having extra money can lead to self-indulgence due to the inner emptiness caused by losing of motivation. For example, it is not new to us to hear stories of celebrities who are having drug problems.

On the other hand, in spite of the possible negative impact of money, it is more likely to be a positive factor for the wellbeing of us. Firstly, not every rich people are condemned to suffer from problems mentioned above, and most of them are contributing to our societies with their money. For instance, many super rich people like Bill Gates and Buffett donate their money to charities and help people who are in need. Secondly, having enough money usually makes people happier because money offers people the privilege of enjoying their life. When we have extra money, we can improve the quality of our life by moving to a bigger house, enjoying better food or having a tour overseas.

To sum up, as far as I am concerned, although money could bring us troubles, it does not have to be harmful to us and it usually makes people happier.

what you think about my essay? can it get a 7?
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
adam1979

Post by adam1979 »

I can attest that these were indeed the writing tasks on the 15th. I took the exam in dubai.

I think I did well, but I'm worried about two things in task 2:
1- The task asks you to write relying on knowledge AND experience. I'm afraid I leaned heavily on the knowledge part and didn't cite enough examples from my own personal experience.
2- In arguing against the claim that money could buy happiness, I referred to an article I read in the newyorker a few years ago. The article tracked lottery winners over the years and demonstrated how, invariably, they'd ended up leading miserable lives of alcoholism and drug abuse. The article is relevant, I think. And although I didn't mention the name of the publication, I'm still worried the examiner might think I'm boasting or the essay is somehow prepared beforehand .

We shall see.

P.s. This is an awesome website. Thank you Ryan.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks very much for sharing the experiences, guys. Adam, your supporting evidence sounds very solid.