Task 2 formal exams VS continuous assessment please give me some advice. Thank you

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
lingxia

Task 2 formal exams VS continuous assessment please give me some advice. Thank you

Post by lingxia »

Only formal examinations, written or practical, can give a clear picture of a students’ true knowledge and ability at university level. Continuous assessment like course work and projects are poor measures of student ability. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (Academic writing practice)

It is not uncommon to see formal examinations are widely used in the school and universities as the measure of student’s academic performances. Some people believe that formal examinations are far more effective than continuous exams to test students’ abilities and should become the only measurement in the school. I strongly disagree with this statement.
Admittedly, formal examinations provide a fair way for teachers to test student’s academic achievements as all students no matter genders and races have to confront the examination in the same level and finish exams in a given time. Therefore, the result from a standard test can give students an objective and balanced view of their performances. Furthermore, It is believed that formal examinations can motivate students as well. Being fully aware of the consequences of the failure of exams, students have to work hard to get desire results.
However, using formal exams as the only way to test students may turn out to be more harmful than beneficial because this method will inevitably make educators and students regard it as an end in itself and overlook the true purpose of education. Specifically, the ultimate goal of education is to identify, discover, provoke and stimulate students’ talents and not produce some spoon-feeding students through exams. Therefore, formal exams should be always considered as something secondary or by-product which students will take in their stride. It is also worth mentioning that some subjects are less academic such as arts and music. Thus, it is fairly difficult to test students using formal exams.
In conclusion, I believe that it is entirely necessary to have formal exams in schools as a standard measure for educators to know students performances. However, this measure is not always the right way to test student with diversified talents and barely the only way. Words 300
In the end, we will be judged by the courage of our hearts