Band Score Calculator

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Gelever

Band Score Calculator

Post by Gelever »

Hi, dear IELTS teachers.
Could you confirm validity of this online converter: http://ielts.calculator.free.fr/
I just want to correctly convert my answers into IELTS band scores! Is there any official converter available in the Net?
Thank you for your reply.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Band Score Calculator

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Gelever,
There is a variance with the scores for reading and listening, i.e. 26/40 on listening does not always equal band 6 (as on the calculator), but this calculator is certainly a good guide. There is no official converter on the net.
Thanks for pointing out a useful little resource!
David
Prams

Post by Prams »

Hi David,
Does it mean that the actual band score depends on the difficulty level of the test? I mean is it possible that 26/40 in one listening test will fetch 6, and some other day (with a more difficult question set) it would fetch a 6.5?
If yes, is it also applicable for reading?

I am asking this question because I personally felt that the difficulty level varies from paper to paper (I am yet to take the IELTS exam, here I am referring to the Cambridge practise materials).

Thanks!
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Prams,
Yes, there is a slight variation in the difficulty of the listening and reading tests, so the scores vary by a point or so. I agree with you that the official IELTS materials (strongly recommended!) illustrate this.
Best of luck with your preparations!
David