Writing synonyms in reading answers?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
terry3218

Writing synonyms in reading answers?

Post by terry3218 »

First of all, I would like to thank Ryan for taking this initiative to introduce this sub-forum.

My question is related to reading section. Is it okay to write synonyms in answers of reading test? For example, in one of the reading tests in cambridge ielts 9, I wrote discounts whereas the answers had written minimum fares. It was a topic related to a package that was offered to students for travelling on public transport, which enabled them to avail discounted prices on tickets.

Regards
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Writing synonyms in reading answers?

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello Terry,
An excellent question to kick off with! The answer is that candidates must use the exact words from the passage in their answers. (This is the case in the example you mentioned.) If this is not possible (e.g. it would make the answer grammatically incorrect), the correct form of the word should be used, e.g. 'direct' might become 'direction'.
terry3218

Re: Writing synonyms in reading answers?

Post by terry3218 »

David.IELTS.Examiner wrote:Hello Terry,
An excellent question to kick off with! The answer is that candidates must use the exact words from the passage in their answers. (This is the case in the example you mentioned.) If this is not possible (e.g. it would make the answer grammatically incorrect), the correct form of the word should be used, e.g. 'direct' might become 'direction'.
Thanks for the insights, David.