YES NO NOT GIVEN (Tricky Question)

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
anasjamil

YES NO NOT GIVEN (Tricky Question)

Post by anasjamil »

Hello to all,

I was reading an article online to create understanding on YES NO and NOT GIVEN questions for IELTS reading examination.

Please provide the answer to the following question:
==============================================================
In the article, a statement states as below:

Google, yahoo and MSN lead us to the way to information age.

The question is:

The way to information age is led by Yahoo.
===========================================================

I would have probably answered it YES. However, according to the writer of the article. It should be NOT GIVEN. The logic which was provided in the article states that:

"three companies; Google, yahoo and MSN are mentioned but in question, only yahoo is mentioned"

Please provide your comments and opinions on this. If A,B, and C are responsible for some thing in a passage and only one choice A is provided in question. what to do then ?

I would really appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Anas Jamil
pakspin

Re: YES NO NOT GIVEN (Tricky Question)

Post by pakspin »

very tricky these type of questions are..

i may have gone for NO/False option.. as logic is; there are three companies which lead, but statement says only one.. so False can also be correct here i think.. but Not Given does not look correct to me
rituraj

Post by rituraj »

This is a ridiculous question I must say..but thats what most of the IELTS questions are.
I would have written yes.but u never know in IELTS
hari6143

Post by hari6143 »

answer is false.
mahesh.2676

Post by mahesh.2676 »

the answer is no because all the three companies are leading in providing information, the examiner mentioned only yahoo is leading. If you write "no". you nailed it that's the tricky of IELTS :roll:
petryworn

Post by petryworn »

Can you please provide the whole reading article? Or maybe we can ask the author on why he/she chose that answer. Thanks.
Faith

Post by Faith »

I would have answered no. Google, yahoo and MSN lead us to the way to information age. The key word here is AND. so it means that all three companies lead to information age.

Question is
The way to information age is led by Yahoo.

In this case... it would be false as information age is led by all three companies. Hope this helps. anyway. just think simply during the test. all the best!
lenvasq89

Post by lenvasq89 »

I wouldve answered yes.
Monowara

Post by Monowara »

The answer is no. Because in question mentioned only one option here another two option was not mentioned that's why answer is no. :?:
Hi this is Monowara. I am from Bangladesh but at present I am living in Canada as permanent residence almost three years. I am trying to prepare for academic IELTS. Though I took general ielts exam three years ago. I want to connect other IELTS taker.