True False or Not Given

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
anasjamil

True False or Not Given

Post by anasjamil »

Hello to all,

I took an IELTS exam couple of months ago. There was a question in the Reading section which took a lot of my time. I would like to share this question to get some feedback regarding correct answer to this question. It was a "TRUE FALSE or NOT GIVEN" question.

In the passage a statement stated as below:

The length/duration of some of the courses offered at ABC institute is reduced whenever the instructor is not available due to some reasons.

Q: Some courses offered at ABC institute are shorter in length as compare to other courses.

NOT GIVEN: (which I opted)
I was dubious at that moment as it may appears to be TRUE. However, I answered the above as NOT GIVEN. The reason was that there was no information in the passage about the length of the courses. Please provide your response on this whether I answered correctly or not ?

I would appreciate your responses.
Regards,
Anas Jamil
Sham

Re: True False or Not Given

Post by Sham »

I also have problems with this kind of questions. However, I suggest to everyone not to over think the questions. In my opinion the answer is TRUE. Waiting for others to reply.
lenvasq89

Post by lenvasq89 »

In my opinion, I would probably answer true IF the passage tells me that some instructors were indeed unavailable. If it doesnt then I would probably answer not given.
rituraj

Post by rituraj »

Answer should be NG because the duration of course is shortened only when the instructor is unavailable(not always) amd also we dont know if the course duration is more or less than other courses(as mentioned in ques)
ieltstaker140816

Post by ieltstaker140816 »

anasjamil wrote: The length/duration of some of the courses offered at ABC institute is reduced whenever the instructor is not available due to some reasons.

Q: Some courses offered at ABC institute are shorter in length as compare to other courses.
I agreed with rituraj that the answer is NOT GIVEN as each course may (or not) have DIFFERENT duration and their duration can (or cannot) be varied due to the absence of instructors (because the instructor can always available at class).

The fact is that we just infer that some courses are shorter in length as compare to other courses. Clearly, there is no specific information regarding this in the given sentence.

Cheers! :)
anasjamil

Post by anasjamil »

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments

Regards,
Anas Jamil