Charmy

Please Grade My Speaking: A Book You Read

Post by Charmy »

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=279
Describe a book you read when you were a child. You should say:
what it is
what the main content of the book is
and explain the influence of the book on you

I certainly did more preparation this time. I drew a mind map as below and sort out what I wanted to speak. So this might make me sound more fluent. But I spent more than ten minutes preparing this note and during the interview I certainly won't have that amount of time.

And I notice a mistake I made. I mixed up misbehavior with misbehavor(Is this a word that I could say?).
Attachments
IMG_20140714_092829.jpg
IMG_20140714_092829.jpg (370.26 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
recording20140714091624.mp3
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 190 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Please Grade My Speaking: A Book You Read

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Charmy,
Your vocabulary was really good here. I heard avid, promotes, perseverance, courage, and many other words. Your pronunciation was clear, but I would point out that misfit is not emphasized on the second syllable. You said, “misFIT,” instead of “MISfit.”
Here are some notes:
- the only books I enjoyed reading was comic books – WERE comic books
-After you say comic books, you use “it” instead of “them/they,” the plural pronouns.
- a Japanese Manga named- called, entitled
- travels back in time to help Japanese guy – A Japanese guy
- he’s a misbehavior – he misbehaves (verb)
- it has made a good influence on my life – it has BEEN a good influence on my life
- the influence it has made on me – the way it has influenced me
-change myself from a misbehavior – change myself from a misbehaving person/boy/teenager
Your introduction, again, was a bit long and not really to the point. You could have said, “I wasn’t really an avid reader as a child, but I did enjoy reading. . .” You want to save your precious speaking time to give details about the topic. Staying on topic is key to doing well.
Keep up the good work!
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

lmoore wrote:Hi, Charmy,
Your vocabulary was really good here. I heard avid, promotes, perseverance, courage, and many other words. Your pronunciation was clear, but I would point out that misfit is not emphasized on the second syllable. You said, “misFIT,” instead of “MISfit.”
Here are some notes:
- the only books I enjoyed reading was comic books – WERE comic books
-After you say comic books, you use “it” instead of “them/they,” the plural pronouns.
- a Japanese Manga named- called, entitled
- travels back in time to help Japanese guy – A Japanese guy
- he’s a misbehavior – he misbehaves (verb)
- it has made a good influence on my life – it has BEEN a good influence on my life
- the influence it has made on me – the way it has influenced me
-change myself from a misbehavior – change myself from a misbehaving person/boy/teenager
Your introduction, again, was a bit long and not really to the point. You could have said, “I wasn’t really an avid reader as a child, but I did enjoy reading. . .” You want to save your precious speaking time to give details about the topic. Staying on topic is key to doing well.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much for your detailed feedback.
I'm still wondering, after so many practices I've been doing, can I possibly score a band 7 or even higher? Which band do you think I will possibly score?
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

I don't give estimated band scores, I'm sorry.
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

lmoore wrote:I don't give estimated band scores, I'm sorry.
Well, I was just curious about the result but that's alright. :)
I'm really grateful for all the help you offered to those who're preparing for the IELTS test. :D
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

It's my pleasure. I enjoy seeing students so dedicated to learning a new language, not just passing a test.