A Pronunciation Question

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
Charmy

A Pronunciation Question

Post by Charmy »

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=267
I'm kind of insecure about the way I pronounce things. Am I saying "son" and "song" differently and correctly in this recording?

By the way, at the end of this recording, "Please, tell me your, your...(searching for words...found nothing...gave up). Thank you." :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Attachments
recording20140707210800.mp3
(600.61 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Damien P.

Re: A Pronunciation Question

Post by Damien P. »

I think your pronunciation is quite good!
Indeed, "Son" is pronounced exactly like "Sun", while "Song" uses a lower and more closed sound, similar to what can be heard in Northern-English accents too.
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

Damien P. wrote:I think your pronunciation is quite good!
Indeed, "Son" is pronounced exactly like "Sun", while "Song" uses a lower and more closed sound, similar to what can be heard in Northern-English accents too.
Thank you for encouraging me :D . But did I pronounce them correctly in my recording?
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

Hello,

Damien is right, Charmy, your pronunciation of both words is good. I would encourage you to be a bit more relaxed when you say "song," and really pronounce that /g/ sound hard at the end. The /o/ sound sounds like you are saying it with your lips in a semi-tight circle, but your lips need to be more relaxed, with your bottom jaw dropped a bit more dramatically. Practice saying other words with the short /o/ sound, and then say "song." For example, you might say "log, frog, long, song." Sometimes, it sounds like you're completely dropping the /g/ sound.

Nice work!