indoor game < anyone>

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
durai

indoor game < anyone>

Post by durai »

Describe an indoor game that you played when you were a child.
You should say:
what the game was
who you played it with
how you played it
and explain why you played that game.
Attachments
indoor_game.mp3
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 463 times
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: indoor game < anyone>

Post by lmoore »

Durai,
Your pronunciation was really clear in this speech. I could understand you very well. I would be more careful when speaking the word, “chess.” It sounded a bit like “chiss” when you said it.
The organization of the speech was really good, overall. I heard you use connectors like, “Let me explain in detail,” “in fact,” “for example,” and “in short.” This helped the whole speech to sound like one cohesive whole. Nice job on that.
Your vocabulary was also good. I heard words like “benefits,” “opponents,” and the different chess piece names. I would recommend that you find some synonyms for “indoor game” and “benefits,” however, as you said them repeatedly. Showing that you have a wide range of vocabulary, even for the same words, is important.
Grammar and sentence structure was a bit off during this speech. For example, you said, “I have played this indoor game with a friend who was living next door.” This should be, “I played this indoor game with a friend who lived next door.” The past progressive is fine for the “friend who was living next door” part, but the simple past makes it more concise. You don’t want to use the present perfect for this, however, for the “I have played this indoor game” part. You also said, “How we had played this game was very complicated.” This should just be, “The way we played this game was very complicated,” or, “How we played this came was complicated.”
You said, “I was really interested to play this game because of several reasons.” Here, “because of” is acceptable, but it is better to say, “for several reasons.” When we use “interested,” we use “in” and the gerund form of the verb instead of “to.” So, this should be, “I was really interested in playing this game for several reasons.”
When you were talking about the reasons you played chess, it seemed like everything was in the past tense. Then, at the end, you started talking in the present tense. You said, “And I should play because I am enjoying a lot of features from this indoor game.” This should be, “I decided I should play because I enjoyed a lot of aspects of this game.” Finally, you said, “For example, I can obtain” when you discussed the reasons why you wanted to play chess. This should be “I could” since you are talking about the hypothetical in the past.
Nice work!
durai

Re: indoor game < anyone>

Post by durai »

Hi Imoore,

Thanks for your feedback. It is helping me a lot in improving my speaking skills.

I keep the mistakes in mind , and try not to repeat it.

Thanks
Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7