recorder 1

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
joohn_123

recorder 1

Post by joohn_123 »

Describe a beautiful place where you want to live.

This is my first use it. please tell me how to use it and i using right or wrong. thanks
posting.php?mode=post&f=4
Attachments
a beautiful place where you want to live.mp3
(727.1 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: recorder 1

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Joohn_123,

Thank you for sharing about a beautiful place you want to live.

Your recording was difficult to understand at first. I think a couple of areas you will need to focus on to improve your speaking are pronunciation and grammar. Practicing pronunciation is especially going to give you the best return for your investment of time and studying.

Clear enunciation of words is critical to the listener being able to understand you. I am not sure which country you are from, exactly, but you can find pronunciation guides for speakers of many languages online. For example, if you are from China, you can find ways to improve your pronunciation and common errors Chinese speakers make when they learn English here: http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/chinese.htm.

Be very intentional about practicing your pronunciation. For instance, again, if you speak Chinese, and you know that “l” and “r” are difficult for you, concentrate on reducing this error in your speaking. Practice speaking with a native English speaker or with another student who has better pronunciation so he or she can help you listen for the difference between the two consonants.

Also, speaking more slowly can help you enunciate better. As you become better at pronunciation, you will find that your speaking speed will increase.

Beyond pronunciation, I heard you use some higher-level vocabulary, like “charming.” Continue to build your vocabulary by learning synonyms of common words to avoid repeating words like “beautiful” and “tourist.”

Regarding grammar, I heard you use some complicated verb structures correctly. However, I also heard you say, “I have been there for two times with my parents,” which indicates that learning to use prepositions more appropriately would be a good idea. This sentence should just be, “I have been there two times with my parents.”

Use some more transitions in your speech as well to better organize yourself. This will help the listener link the ideas about which you speak more easily. For example, some transition/connecting words are “in addition,” “in contrast to,” “like,” “similarly,” “next,” “furthermore,” and “moreover.”

Best wishes as you continue to practice!