IELTS general writing task 2 - Please evaluate my writing

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
akshitapillai

IELTS general writing task 2 - Please evaluate my writing

Post by akshitapillai »

Q: In some countries children have very strict rules of behaviour, in other countries they are allowed to do almost anything they want.
To what extent should children have to follow rules?

The way children are brought up depends on the parenting styles. Some believe in strict rules and monitoring everything that their child does, whereas others let their child do whatever they want. I believe there needs to be a middle ground where a mix of both these parenting styles can be used depending upon the scenario.

In some countries, especially in Asia, parents believe that their child needs to follow every rule put forward by them. The pros of this approach is that, in most cases, parents being parents and having more life experiences are usually right. But the problem with this approach is that the kid grows up being very sheltered and isn't well equipped to handle the real world. On the other hand, kids might find ways to break the rules without telling their parents but this reduces their trust between parents and kids.

The other parenting approach is to let kids to whatever they want. This approach has a risk of raising kids who are ill mannered and whose moral compass isn't always pointing north. Rules are needed to guide the kids between right and wrong. Parents have a responsibility of ensuring their kid's safety and sometimes this would mean not letting their kids do something that they want.

Kids need structure and some discipline in their life and rules can guide them between right and wrong . So in my opinion, children do need to follow rules but there should be room for bending them once in a while.