Speaking and Writing task 2 inquisition

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
hypothesis

Speaking and Writing task 2 inquisition

Post by hypothesis »

Hello dear reader

My questions targets 2 aspects of IELTS , firstly , I would like to know whether I lose any speaking mark solely based on 1 pronunciation mistake and the definition of " slip " as it is cited in the assessment criteria .
my 2nd question is regarding the new way of evaluation if any , on writing task 2. Recently many of my countrymen complain about the fact that there is a huge discrepancy between their speaking band score and their writing band score ( I myself scored 8.5 in speaking and only 5.5 in writing ) , in 2008 about 9 years ago I managed to score 8 in my writing and yet 9 years later , with all the practice and the time I put into excelling in English , I scored 5.5 , I would like to know if there are different ways of assessment in this regard , am I missing something that I scored so low ?

thanks for your time
Mark IELTS

Re: Speaking and Writing task 2 inquisition

Post by Mark IELTS »

Hello!

Q1. No. You're looking at the highest band scores here and a single error will not have any effect.

Q2. In my experience, this often happens because candidates do not answer the writing questions (e.g. misunderstanding the question, writing about the general topic rather than the specific question). This is very common and I've seen many students get 8 one time and 5 the next.

All the best,
Mark