task 1, two line graphs

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
taha_nasr90

task 1, two line graphs

Post by taha_nasr90 »

Could you please give me a hand ASAP regarding that task which contains two line graphs, we have to describe the main features and make comparisons as well,however, they contain many features.

Ryan

Re: task 1, two line graphs

Post by Ryan »

Hi Taha,

It is true that the data sources contain many trending items, but keep in mind that these items tend to pattern each other. If I were you, I would group based on similar trends and then compare these groupings. For instance, I would group Business and Management with Engineering and make clear that these subjects trend in almost identical ways, albeit with an enrollment buffer of perhaps 10,000 students between them. I would also group Physical Life Sciences, Mathematics and Computing and Social Sciences, making clear that the nature of their growth is almost identical over the period in question.

Be sure to focus your energy on communicating the parts of the graph that show change. For example, I wouldn't worry about sharing detailed values for Business and Management and Engineering growth in 2006/2007 because this is an insignificant point within a larger and more identifiable trend: the gradual increase in popularity of these subjects between 2005 and 2008. I would make clear mention that growth appears to accelerate between the 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 academic years, and I would also describe the reversion in 2009/2010 to a growth speed comparable to that seen at the beginning of the graph. Follow a similar strategy for the remaining courses.

I would also follow the above approach for graph two. However, the Chinese student numbers are a trend unlike any other, so I would talk about the growth in these values separately. I would probably also devote a sentence to the unique figures shared for Japanese students.

To compare the two graphs, I suppose a couple of loose conclusions can be drawn: (1) studies in Business and Management and Engineering appear to pattern the increase of Indian, Chinese and South Korean students and (2) the influx of Chinese students may explain the acceleration seen in the enrollment of Business and Management and Engineering programs. I would qualify these relationships as "loose" because the data we are basing our conclusions on is very limited.

Good luck,
Ryan
chadny013

Post by chadny013 »

Hi i try to write, i dont know how it turn up, Let me know coz i m also preparing my self for writing.

The line graph shows the very volatile number of students over the course of six years. No obvious correlation between the two graphs.
First graph contains five categories subject, where Business &Management and Engineering achieved a significant no of students from beginning, from 100 thousand in 2005/06, the Business &Management reached a period of stability till 2007/08,after that it spike to approximately 140 thousand in 2008/09 before goes to a plateau in the end of the year. Equally engineering course also represent the same trend throughout the period, starting from 90 thousand students and after a modest fluctuation it also rise around 130 thousand at the end. Moreover, the other three subjects physical life science, Mathematics & computer and Social science have similar no of students in whole period. All start from roughly 40 thousand, stay in a plateau, and slightly rise in middle of whole period. And end with a stable position again.
However, the accompanying line graph illustrates students number by differentiate them ten different countries. Surprisingly only three country have a good number of people in USA. China is one of them, starting from about 65 thousand and rapidly increases throughout the period with mild fluctuation and reach to 120 thousand at the end. On the other hand, interestingly India and South Korea both have same trend in whole time period although both start and end with different numbers. Both countries show a steep increase until 2008/09, before its goes to a stable condition till last year. Furthermore, the rest seven countries show a period of stability throughout the period.
taha_nasr90

Post by taha_nasr90 »

Here is my answer for that task, hope it's enough a bit, however, I do feel it's too much with 208 word count. Is the word count too much or normal?
Looking forward to your respond ASAP.

The two line graphs illustrate the number of overseas students in the USA from certain countries studying five subjects over five years from 2005 till 2010.
To begin with subject popularity, business of management and engineering had the same trend throughout the whole period of time with 10.000 students gap between them. The number of students studying those two subjects increased gradually from 2005 till 2007, then increased significantly till 2008 after which kept going up slightly till it reached the top in 2010. Furthermore, physical and life sciences, mathematics and computing and social sciences had the same trend from the early beginning till the end of the period.
A closer look at the overseas students’ nationalities reveals that both India and South Korea have the same trend throughout the period which increased gradually till 2008 then it seemed to flatten out a bit in 2010 . However, it’s clear that the number of Chinese students rose considerably with around 130.000 students in 2010. Moreover, there was a decrease in Japanese numbers throughout the years. The other countries stayed stable from beginning till the end.

On the whole, the most popular subject among overseas students was business of management, while the majority of those students were from china.