Please help evaluating my essay

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
fajrian

Post by fajrian »

You have been offered a job that will require you to move to a city that you have never visited before. You have an acquaintance who live there.

Write a letter to the acquaintance. In your letter
[*] explain your situation
[*] say why you feel unsure about living in the city
[*] ask some questions about life in the city

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sam,

It has been a while since the last time we met, but I have a condition now. I just got a job. The job is pretty much what I consider as (almost) dream job. The problem is that, the job is in London. I have visited London only once, and that was just for few days. So I feel unsure about the job offer. I think it is quite normal for human being to feel anxious by the prospect of something unfamiliar. Considering that you are 100% Londoner, I wish you can alleviate my anxiety, because you know London very well.

I have several questions pertaining to life in London, and I would be very happy if you can answer them. How safe is London? Is it safe for a normal guy like me walking alone at night? My job will require me to go home late very often, so safety is very important concern for me. Secondly, how is the night life in London? I love going to night club every weekend. I would be very happy if there are many exciting clubs there. And the last, the most mundane, but the most important question, is rent in inner London affordable to an ordinary young professional like me? I prefer living in inner London, provided that I can afford it of course.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely Yours,

Joe
fajrian

Post by fajrian »

Another essay

You are planning a two-week vacation, and you need someone to take care of your house while you are away.

Write a letter to your neighbour. In your letter
[*] tell your neighbour that you are going away
[*] ask your neighbour to take care of your house for you
[*] explain what tasks you would like your neighbour to do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Joe,

I am currently in the need of your help. I am about to go for 2 weeks holiday, so I will not be at home at that time. Can you take care of my house during that period? I do not expect something bad would happen, but who knows how the future is.

If you see sign of housebreaking, please report it to police and inform me about that. I am a bit worried because one of our neighbour was robbed at his own home few months ago. Oh, aside from that, if there is registered mail coming, please collect the mail for me. I am expecting few registered mails are going to come in the next few weeks, although I am unsure about the exact date. The last one, please feed my dog every morning. I will give the dog food to you later.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely Yours,

Sam
Last edited by fajrian on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
fajrian

Post by fajrian »

Another essay

Write about the following topic:
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of high school students having part-time jobs.

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are always many debates about education. One of them is whether forcing, or at least encouraging high school students to have part time job. The issue is quite controversial. Unfortunately, there does not seem any broad agreement on what high school education is for. And this particular part time job for high school students controversy is part of the disagreement. In general, there are 2 camps in this disagreement: the idealist and the realist.

The idealist loves the idea of high school students doing part time job. They believe that this is an excellent way to build work ethics. Of course, the importance of work ethics is undisputable. Good comparison can be drawn with German apprentice system. In Germany, an apprentice who is working as baker must wake up very early to bake bread. People eat bread in the morning and people prefer their bread warm. So like it or not, the apprentice must wake up very early. That is certainly a great way to build work ethics.

However, the realist considers that to be just a dream. For them, high school is simply to prepare students to go to good universities. Let us be realistic, most high school students want to continue their education. they want to go to good universities. Unfortunately, most universities do not care about their applicant's work experience, not for undergraduate degree admission at least. It is better to allocate the part time job time for examination problem exercise, or better yet, for academic competition training. These are the factors which can make or break someone's chance to go to university. Another thing, for university graduates who are about to start their career, no employer would care about the potential employee's experience on mopping floor or flipping burger during high school days.

In short, this controversy is part of general controversy about high school education. The idealist wants high school education which builds character. Meanwhile, the realist only wants to send the students to good universities. The controversy is far from being over, unfortunately.