languages < anyone there>

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
durai

languages < anyone there>

Post by durai »

Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last decade, the number of different languages has decreased significantly the world over. While some people opine that speaking fewer of them make life easier, others have a different view. To my mind, the loss of vernacular languages cannot be justified because it acts as a catalyst for losing cultural identities and valuable records.

To begin with, a few languages act as a precursor for having life with less difficulty. Nowadays, many individuals do trade across the country so a common accent among societies is essential for easy communication, and for finishing the business deal. If you take Australia and America, for example, English is widely spoken by both communities that lessen communication barrier between citizens. As a result, they could do all types of businesses such as import, exports and employment contracts. Thus, it is clear why some people say that fewer languages are better.

However, in my opinion, vernacular dialects directly correlate to a country’s culture. Even this means that these are a part of history, tradition, and legacy. In fact, many old jargons have inextricable links to the present world. For example, Tamil, a very ancient language spoken by only one state in India, has associated with many medicinal values. The reason is that the Ayurveda descriptions are identified only with hand written Tamil documents that help prolonging human life by curing ill-fated health issues such as kidney and heart problems, lung and stomach cancer. Hence, old and ancient languages should not be perished.

At the end of the day, though fewer languages give easy life, there are certain advantages of different languages that serve different purposes. So, it is necessary to preserve our mother tongue for the posterity. Let us hope that future generation would speak same number of languages in the future as it is in the present.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
allen_zhang

Re: languages < anyone there>

Post by allen_zhang »

Hi Durai,
I am trying to give my persoal suggestions. Maybe not prefessional, let's just discuss.

Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last decade, the number of different I would remove the "different" here languages has decreased significantly the world over. While some people opine that speaking fewer of them make life easier, others have a different view. To my mind, the loss of vernacular languages cannot be justified from my point of view, "justified" should refer to behaviors but not a thing or fact. because it acts as a catalyst for losing cultural identities and valuable records.

To begin with, a few languages act as a precursor for having life with less difficulty.--> difficult Nowadays, many individuals-->people do trade across the country so a common accent among societies is essential for easy communication, and for finishing the business deal. why talk about accent? you are suppose to talk about languages such as Chinese, English.. If you take Australia and America, for example, English is widely spoken by both communities that lessen communication barrier between citizens. As a result, they could do all types of businesses such as import, exports and employment contracts. Thus, it is clear why some people say that fewer languages are better.

However, in my opinion, vernacular dialects directly correlate to a country’s culture. Even this means that these are a part of history, tradition, and legacy. In fact, many old jargons have inextricable links to the present world. For example, Tamil, a very ancient language spoken by only one state in India, has associated with many medicinal values. The reason is that the Ayurveda descriptions are identified only with hand written Tamil documents that help prolonging human life by curing ill-fated health issues such as kidney and heart problems, lung and stomach cancer. Hence, old and ancient languages should not be perished. I like this paragraph

At the end of the day, though fewer languages give easy life, there are certain advantages of different-->more languages that serve different purposes. So, it is necessary to preserve our mother tongue for the posterity. Let us hope that future generation would speak the same number of languages in the future future again? as it is in the present.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Allen,

thanks for your comments,

First I used " accent" because I dont like to repeat the word " languages", I was thinking but I put that for a moment.

same thing with people, i think we can use people, individuals, citizens- a mix -everyone carry same meaning

may be for justified, can i use " ignored" ?

Let us hope that future generation would speak the same number of languages (in the future future again?, i forgot to erase it, but i did in my writing )as it is in the present.

another question , when you do corrections how can I mark with RED colour, I am trying but it's not working.

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
andytruong1202

Post by andytruong1202 »

durai wrote:Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.

Over the last decade, the number of different languages have decreased significantly (several languages are significant?)the world over. While some people opine that speaking fewer languages make life easier, others have the opposite view. To my mind, the loss of vernacular languages cannot be justified (what do you mean by this?) because it acts as a catalyst for losing cultural identities and valuable records.

To begin with, a few languages act as a precursor for having life with fewer difficulties. Nowadays, many individuals do trade across countries so a common accent among societies is essential for easy communication when making business deals. Take Australia and America for example, English is widely spoken in both countries, which removes the communication barrier between the two countries' citizens. As a result, they could do all types of businesses such as import, exports and employment contracts. Thus, it is clear why some people say that fewer languages are better.

Ideas are good, but not convincing. Should make a comparison between these countries and other countries wherein many different languages are spoken.

However, in my opinion, vernacular dialects directly correlate to a country’s culture. This means that these are a part of history, tradition, and legacy. In fact, many old jargons have inextricable links to the present world. For example, Tamil, a very ancient language spoken by only one state in India, has associated with many medicinal values (what are medicinal values?). The reason is that the Ayurveda descriptions are identified only with hand written Tamil documents that help prolong human life by curing ill-fated health issues such as kidney and heart problems, and lung and stomach cancer ( I feel there's something wrong in this sentence but my ability doesn't allow me to fix it :(). Hence, ancient languages should not be perished.

In conclusion, although fewer languages make life easier, there are certain advantages of different languages that serve different purposes. Thus, it is necessary to preserve our mother tongue for the posterity. It is hoped that future generations would speak the same number of languages as we do in the present (should make a recommendation rather than a prediction.).
Good vocabulary. A good essay overall.

Join https://www.facebook.com/groups/ielts7.0/
andytruong1202

Post by andytruong1202 »

durai wrote:

another question , when you do corrections how can I mark with RED colour, I am trying but it's not working.

Durai

WRITE YOUR CORRECTIONS HERE
Attachments
CCCCCCCCCCCC.png
CCCCCCCCCCCC.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 834 times