My 1st essay

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
VoidGuard

My 1st essay

Post by VoidGuard »

Hello, I have tried to write my 1st essay. Here it is. Could you give me some comments?
Machine translation (MT) is slower and less accurate than human translation and there is no immediate or predictable likelihood of machines taking over this role from humans.
Do you agree or disagree?

In today’s world, the importance of information technology in all walks of life increased dramatically. Even in the sphere of text translation computers play a big role. I strongly disagree that machines will completely replace a human translator. This will be shown by analyzing inability of robotic translators to produce high quality output text as well as impossibility of technology-driven translators to recognize a context and resolve ambiguity.

The first reason why I believe that computerized translators are not able to compete with a human is low quality of machine translation. For example, it is commonly understood that a human translating complicated sentences from one language to another analyzes words as well as phrases. Unfortunately, this is something that a program-driven translator simply cannot provide because it performs translation word by word. Thus it makes it clear why technology are not able completely replace the human.

Secondly, discovering background as well as ambiguity resolution is an unsolvable task for a robotic translator. For instance, it is often happened that a machine chooses an incorrect translation for a particular word and this causes changing of sense of a sentence. In contrast, a human is able to feel context of phrases and translate them correctly. From this it becomes quite evident that robotic translators will never take the place of humans.

In conclusion, I totally disagree a human can be replaced with electronic translators. This is because a machine is not able to provide accurate translation as well as think about sense of output text. After analyzing this subject, I can only recommend using technology-driven translators in order to translate single words or simple sentences.