Please grade my speaking - appearing IELTS on 2nd August

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
joydeep

Please grade my speaking - appearing IELTS on 2nd August

Post by joydeep »

I have recorded a full conversation including part1, 2 and 3 with help of one of my skype friend. Would be great if the speaking can be graded and my mistakes can be pointed out. I am appearing the exam on 2nd August, so early feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joydeep
Attachments
Ielts_practice_18_jul.mp3
(7.83 MiB) Downloaded 351 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Please grade my speaking - appearing IELTS on 2nd August

Post by lmoore »

Hello, JoyDeep,
Thank you for working through an entire mock interview, and thank you to your friend for doing that with you! That is a good way to practice.
Overall, I would say that your organization and vocabulary are two of your strongest areas. You consistently use good transition words to connect your ideas, and your introductions and conclusions are sound and clear. Likewise, your vocabulary indicates a solid understanding of higher-level vocabulary and how to use it properly. I would caution you to avoid sounding too formal. Sometimes, you use words that are too formal for the situation you are describing. For example, when you say, “premier reason,” you might instead say, “the most important reason,” or “the main reason.”
Your overall fluency is quite good. You speak quickly, but I would also encourage you to slow down some as the speed negatively affects your pronunciation at times to the point that I cannot understand what you are saying. Clearly enunciate each syllable you speak.
You have few verb tense problems. I did not notice too many of those. There were a few, like when you said, “you might be guessing,” instead of “you might guess.” Most of your grammatical errors were related to sentence structure and knowledge of common phrases. For example, we do not “take decisions,” we “make” them, and we do not “leave from home,” but we do “leave home.”
Here are a few other notes:
-I’m currently working at the moment. – “At the moment” is redundant here. You already said “currently.”
-I reach office normally by 9:30. – I normally reach the office by 9:30.
-a cup of coffee to get rid of my sleep – a cup of coffee to wake me up/to get rid of my sleepiness
-I do some of my works. . .-I do some of my tasks/some of my work. . .Note that “work” is singular/non-count.
-I’m working as technical lead – I’m working as the technical lead
-doing their works properly – doing their jobs properly
-there is some meetings that happen during that part of the day – There ARE some meetings that happen. . .
-naturally, this would be my natural ? profession – Don’t use “natural” that many times in one sentence. I couldn’t understand the word before “profession.”
-from the very early days – from my earliest days
-at days when there are a number of works being ? over the first few days. . . – I wasn’t too sure what you meant here, but I am going to guess that it was “On days when there is a lot of work to do. . .”
-so I can get rid of the overlog – backlog – “Overlog” is not a word.
-leisurely – pronunciation
-as a whole, I prefer – on the whole
-To be very frank to you – to be frank WITH you
- it is kind of a wastage of time – “Wastage” is not a word that we use too often, especially in this context. It would be better to say, “It is kind of a waste of time.”
-not much fan of shopping – not much of a fan of shopping
-books on architectures and archaeologies – “Architecture” and “archaeology” are non-count nouns, so you don’t want to make them plural.
-thriller (said treeler) – work on th sound
-these would be my two most popular channels – these are my two favorite channels
it was one of my first experience – experienceS
-he can be careless about whatever is happening in his surrounding – He can be careless about what he is doing and how it affects others around him.
-they do take a number of risk – risks
fatal (said fetal with a short /e/ sound, like in “petal”) – pronunciation
-need to be more careful while doing such stupidity – need to be more careful when they do such stupid things/actions
-aged–Perhaps say “elderly” as you say “aged” a lot.
-aged peoples – aged people – no plural
-there were very few households who had – that had
-habit to watch t.v.s – just t.v., not pluralized
-deteriorated- pronunciation – all slid together
-in the t.v. channels – on t.v. channels
-sports – Don’t forget to say the ‘r.’
-we would not be clear to our own conscience – Our consciences would not be clear, We would not be true to our own consciences if. . .
-to my personal opinion – in my personal opinion

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
-Leyla
joydeep

Re: Please grade my speaking - appearing IELTS on 2nd August

Post by joydeep »

Hi Leyla,

Thank you so much for your prompt analysis of my speaking. This has been very helpful. I would definitely try to work on and improve myself in the areas you have suggested.

Thanks and regards,

Joydeep