ielts score for 7th June exam

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
atmahesh

ielts score for 7th June exam

Post by atmahesh »

country
IDP or BC
Academic or General

what is your score?
alihsa8

Re: ielts score for 7th June exam

Post by alihsa8 »

has it been released yet?
there is nothing in https://results.ielts.org/
correct me if I'm wrong
atmahesh

Post by atmahesh »

Although, I haven't got my result yet, I learned from a gentleman from Bangladesh that he have got result by sending sms to a phone number. I am also waiting for the result like you.

Cheers,
bionic89

Post by bionic89 »

One word, relief!

IELTS Academic

Listening: 7.0
Reading: 9.0
Writing: 6.5
Speaking: 7.0

Overall: 7.5
drspp92

Post by drspp92 »

L-7.5
R-9
W-8
S-8

Overall=8

Was apprehensive about L as I had some momentary lapse of concentration?
Ambicia

Post by Ambicia »

Excellent results, congratulations!
I have my Speaking on Sunday. I was just wondering what is needed to get a band 8 like you did? Can you please tell about your speaking strategies and impressions of the real exam?
Thank you.
pumbaa_g

Post by pumbaa_g »

IELTS British Council India GT

Overall Band 8.5
Listening 9.0
Reading 8.0
Writing 8.0
Speaking 8.0
My wife's score
Overall Band 7.5
Listening 7.5
Reading 6.5
Writing 7.0
Speaking 8.0
smileyou1234

Post by smileyou1234 »

Academic Canada

L:7
R:7
W:6.5
S:8
OVERALL:7
neha

Post by neha »

Academic Australia:

listening = 7.5

reading = 7.5

speaking = 7.5

writing = 6

I am overall very glad with the resuilt :)
drspp92

Post by drspp92 »

@ambicia
I will message you on Saturday
thanks
ongandy86

Post by ongandy86 »

BC Philippines
General

Listening - 9
Reading - 8.5
Writing - 7
Speaking - 7

This is my second time taking the test the last one being Jan 2012.

As for the results https://results.ielts.org/ is only for those who took exams on IDP.
Use https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/checkresults.aspx for British Council candidates.

Question: How do you guys get that 8 or 9 on Writing and Speaking? I'm pretty sure I tried to hit all those criteria in scoring but it seems I missed on some of them. Any tips?
ongandy86

Post by ongandy86 »

BC Philippines
General

Listening - 9
Reading - 8.5
Writing - 7
Speaking - 7

Overall - 8

This is my second time taking the test the last one being Jan 2012.
alihsa8 wrote:has it been released yet?
there is nothing in https://results.ielts.org/
correct me if I'm wrong
As for the results https://results.ielts.org/ is only for those who took exams on IDP.
Use https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/checkresults.aspx for British Council candidates.

Question: How do you guys get that 8 or 9 on Writing and Speaking? I'm pretty sure I tried to hit all those criteria in scoring but it seems I missed on some of them. Any tips?
bionic89

Post by bionic89 »

^perhaps they're native speakers or they took the test many times.

Is there a way to see the answer keys of the 7th June test? Also, i thought there will be comments on my Test Report Form but there weren't. I was expecting feedback in each section.
ongandy86

Post by ongandy86 »

bionic89 wrote:^perhaps they're native speakers or they took the test many times.

Is there a way to see the answer keys of the 7th June test? Also, i thought there will be comments on my Test Report Form but there weren't. I was expecting feedback in each section.
Do not expect a feedback or questions with answer keys. However it will be published in 2 to 3 years time eventually by Cambridge as part of their preparation books.
pumbaa_g

Post by pumbaa_g »

Its a common myth that only native English speakers can hope to achieve 8 or 9. I have come across a gentleman who is an editor for research papers and has 15 years of experience. He scored straight 9 in IELTS in 2011, Google Band 9 and you will find his inputs. On the contrary, sometime Native English speakers perform badly in these sections, especially if they are not prepared. Admittedly some part is luck, my speaking test was not good and I really felt I could have done better if I had a different topic. The topic that I was given threw me for some time, I did pick up but by that time it cost me some points. The most difficult section for me personally was the writing section, I am used to typing on Office/Word and had forgotten all about spelling & punctuation.
ndineth

Post by ndineth »

General Training first attempt
L-9
R-7.5
S-7
W-6.5
Overall - 7.5

Really disappointed as my requirement was 7 in each :(
Do you think re-evaluating my writing will be worthwhile?
argho1985

Post by argho1985 »

Hi,

I don't think it will be much of help , however in my case I got a shocking 5 band in writing :o taking the fact the I am a research student in one of the good universities in Melbourne , Australia. I have applied for re evaluation

Book for the next test and hope for the best.

Thanks
Argho

ndineth wrote:General Training first attempt
L-9
R-7.5
S-7
W-6.5
Overall - 7.5

Really disappointed as my requirement was 7 in each :(
Do you think re-evaluating my writing will be worthwhile?
pumbaa_g

Post by pumbaa_g »

One suggestion from my end is to go through the Collins Cobuild Key Words for IELTS. I was pretty confident regarding my vocabulary so I only purchased the Intermediate and Advanced editions of this book however, a beginner version is also available.
I did go through the Intermediate book from end to end to brush up my vocabulary, although I didn't find any words that I was not acquainted with I did discover some words which are used differently in American and British English which are always used incorrectly. The Intermediate book is at Band 7 level in IELTS. I do plan to go through the advanced version of the book now as I did not get to do so before the exam.
This is useful if you have a few months to prepare. I did create a list of words that I was either spelling incorrectly or not able to pronounce or didn't know the meaning.
I tried to use these words whenever possible in my normal day to day conversations to try and incorporate these in my vocabulary

This was how I was making my list of words on MS Word
Vocabulary of Interest
Bucolic
Meaning
Relating to the pleasant aspects of country side and country living
“The church is lovely for its bucolic setting”
Synonym
Rustic, rural, pastoral, countryside, agrarian
Juggernaut
Meaning
A massive inexorable force, campaign, movement, or object that crushes whatever is in its path <an advertising juggernaut> <a political juggernaut>
Synonyms
Bandwagon, blitz, cause, crusade, drive, campaign, movement
Sequestered
A place isolated and hidden away.
"A wild sequestered spot"
Synonyms
Secluded, cloistered, hidden away, concealed, tucked away, hard to find
ongandy86

Post by ongandy86 »

pumbaa_g wrote:Its a common myth that only native English speakers can hope to achieve 8 or 9. I have come across a gentleman who is an editor for research papers and has 15 years of experience. He scored straight 9 in IELTS in 2011, Google Band 9 and you will find his inputs. On the contrary, sometime Native English speakers perform badly in these sections, especially if they are not prepared. Admittedly some part is luck, my speaking test was not good and I really felt I could have done better if I had a different topic. The topic that I was given threw me for some time, I did pick up but by that time it cost me some points. The most difficult section for me personally was the writing section, I am used to typing on Office/Word and had forgotten all about spelling & punctuation.
Yes I do agree that being a native speaker does not mean you will get a good score. Chance of getting a good band might be better than average but surely its not automatic.

The two most important tip I got from a British Council staff is that 1) to get the highest grade one only have to hit all the criteria for scoring. And criteria for each section is different so one has to be familiar on how each section is graded. I studied via Googling 'IELTS tips' and watch the tip videos in each section on Youtube which the IELTS themselves produced. 2) just keep talking and connecting with the examiner on speaking test even if you do not know the topic (that really saved me as I'm not talkative at all) and that in writing just invent if you do not know what to say and just make it cohesive enough to make the whole writing looks flowingly smooth.

By the way the one who got minimum 8 on all categories is an indian from India.