Describe advantages and disadvantages of death penalty and give your opinion

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
haxa

Describe advantages and disadvantages of death penalty and give your opinion

Post by haxa »

Writing Topic:

Some people advocate death penalty for those who committed violent crimes. Others say that capital punishment is unacceptable in contemporary society. Describe advantages and disadvantages of death penalty and give your opinion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please evaluate my writing below, thank you so much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Death penalty has long been a controversal issue in our society. Some people support the capital punishment, while some say that it is unacceptable. In this essay, the pros and cons of death penalty will be discussed.

For people who advocate death penalty, it seems to be a fair judgement to kill the murderers if they have taken away someone’s life. Compensating the victim’s life with the criminals’ life is an “an-eye-for-an-eye” justice. Also, the advantage of death penalty is that, once the cost of committing a violent crime is big enough, people will be frightened not to do so. As a result, it will effectively stop people from committing any violent crimes.

However, capital punishment does have its drawbacks. Sometimes the evidence of crime may be judged by environmental factors or the evidence from witnesses. What if those factors or speech from a witness are misleading or, even, fake? Then the innocent person will be killed, and his life will never come back. Also, every one in this world do something wrong, and we should give them a chance to correct themselves. If the criminal has to be executed after committing a violent crime, we are depriving them from becoming a good person again.

In conclusion, I think no one has the right to take away someone’s life. People who committed violent crimes are wrong, however, sentencing them to death is also unacceptable. In my opinion, if we would like to stop them from committing violent crimes again, keeping them in prison for life time has the same outcome as well. Thus I think death penalty should be aborted.

(270 words)