Enquiry on Results or Retake the test?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
SFM

Enquiry on Results or Retake the test?

Post by SFM »

I sat the Academic IELTS exam on Nov 4th (first attempt) and I received my results 23 days later ( When I checked with the British Council on day 15 they reassured me that the delay was with all the results of that test date; not just mine). I had an overall score of 8. Listening: 8.5 Speaking: 8.5 Reading: 8 and Writing: 6.5. I was really disappointed with my score in writing as I was confident I would get a higher band. I found both task 1 and 2 questions easy and clear, exceeded the required word count, finished well before time that I even managed to review my writings.
I need to get a 7 in writing. But I'm a bit confused on what I should do. Should I request a remarking of my results or it would be better retaking the test? Honestly, I don't know what I should be doing differently the next time I feel like I did my best already. I don't know.
P. S. I write in a cursive Copperplate - like manner. Could my handwriting negatively affect the score?

Thanks in advance
locky72

Re: Enquiry on Results or Retake the test?

Post by locky72 »

Hi SFM, here are some quick points:

1. As long as your handwriting is legible and easy to read, this won't affect your score.

2. A 6.5 overall means that you were close to a 7, but maybe 1 or 2 aspects of your writing (task completion, coherence/cohesion, vocabulary, or grammar) was at a band 6 level. Are you familiar with the IELTS writing assessment rubrics? If not, go to the IELTS website, read and familiarise yourself with the band descriptors.

3. A remark doesn't necessarily mean your score will go up. A remark could result in a lower score, the same score, or if there is sufficient evidence, a higher score. It's always a risk to request a remark.

cheers

Locky