Please evaluate my essay - Task 2 : Traffic congestion

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Guru

Please evaluate my essay - Task 2 : Traffic congestion

Post by Guru »

Traffic congestion is becoming huge problem for many major cities. Suggest some measures that could be taken to reduce traffic in big cities.

With an increase in the number of vehicles on roads, the problem of traffic congestion has assumed alarming proportions in several major cities of the world. There are several excellent measures which need to be put in place to nip the problem of busy roads in the bud.

Traffic snarls on the roads have become the norm of the day, contributing to high levels of pollution which is detrimental to human health. One of the most effective measures in controlling traffic jams is to increase taxes on private transportation. For example, firstly, the State could levy a high road tax on owners of private vehicles based upon their usage of vehicles. Since a high use of private vehicles would attract a higher tax, this would dissuade people from using personal transport excessively. Secondly, the government could increase the indirect taxes on cars like custom and sales tax, value added tax and tax on car insurance companies. This would in turn increase the prices of cars thus making them beyond the reach of majority of the people. This would further enhance the use of public modes of transportation like buses, metros and railways.

By encouraging the use of public transport and other eco-friendly means of commuting, the traffic congestion could be brought under control. For instance, the State can offer cheaper fare to people travelling by buses, trams, metros and railways. Also, people can be motivated to use bicycles more often by highlighting its benefits not only to the environment but also to the health and fitness of an individual. Furthermore, public transport could be provided an impetus by charging a hefty amount for parking cars in city centres. This would drive people to make frequent use of public transportation.

In conclusion, the traffic congestion can be checked by enhancing taxes and providing incentive to people for using public modes of transport. Also highlighting the advantages of environment friendly methods of commuting will help decongest overcrowded roads. (327 words)
Guru

Re: Please evaluate my essay - Task 2 : Traffic congestion

Post by Guru »

Can anyone pls rate my essay and provide valuable suggestions for improvement? Thank you.
katsenis

Post by katsenis »

With an increase in the number of vehicles on roads, the problem of traffic congestion has assumed alarming proportions in several major cities of the world. There are several excellent measures which need to be put in place to nip the problem of busy roads in the bud.

Traffic snarls on the roads have become the norm of the day, contributing to high levels of pollution which is detrimental to human health. One of the most effective measures in controlling traffic jams is to increase taxes on private transportation. For example, firstly, the State could levy a high road tax on owners of private vehicles based upon their usage of vehicles. Since a high use of private vehicles would attract a higher tax, this would dissuade people from using personal transport excessively. Secondly, the government could increase the indirect taxes on cars like custom and sales tax, value added tax and tax on car insurance companies. This would in turn increase the prices of cars thus making them beyond the reach of majority of the people. This would further enhance the use of public modes of transportation like buses, metros and railways.

By encouraging the use of public transport and other eco-friendly means of commuting, the traffic congestion could be brought under control. For instance, the State can offer cheaper fare s to people travelling by buses, trams, metros and railways. Also, people can be motivated to use bicycles more often by highlighting its their benefits not only to the environment but also to the health and fitness of an individual. Furthermore, public transport could be provided an impetus by charging a hefty amount for parking cars in city centres. (This sentence is awkward. Maybe you could say, Furthermore, people could be motivated to use public transportation by charging a hefty amount for parking cars in city centres. This would drive people to make frequent use of public transportation.

In conclusion, the (no need for a definite article here ) traffic congestion can be checked by enhancing taxes and providing incentives to people for using public modes of transport. Also, highlighting the advantages of environmental friendly methods of commuting will help decongest overcrowded roads. (327 words)

Guru,
This is quite good. Bravo. A few very minor issues. If this essay were to be graded today it would likely receive:
Task Response = 8
Coherence and cohesion = 7.5
Lexical Resource= 8
Grammatical Range and Accuracy = 7

To raise your score higher, try to add short and longer sentences in a nice mixture.
Nice work!
Guru

Post by Guru »

Thanks katsenis for taking time out to rate my essay.

I beg to differ with the following suggestion:

1. the use of article "the" in the last para refers to "traffic congestion" written in the first para. So the usage to me seems correct.
2. "environment friendly" is correct usage. Though, we can also say "environmentally friendly"
3. "cheaper fare" seems ok to me.
4. "Furthermore, public transport could be provided an impetus by charging a hefty amount for parking cars in city centres." I'd modify the sentence to say "Furthermore, the use of public transport could be provided an impetus by charging a hefty amount for parking cars in city centres.
5. incentive is ok.
6. In the sentence "Also, people can be motivated to use bicycles more often by highlighting its benefits not only to the environment but also to the health and fitness of an individual", its is correct usage. It refers to the "use of bicycles"

I ran the last two paragraphs through grammarly.com and there were no grammatical mistakes pointed out. Let me know if I missed something.