Read this before you post any T2!!!

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Read this before you post any T2!!!

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Everyone,
Recently, I've been looking at a number of essays and one thing needs to be pointed out to almost everyone posting their T2 essays here.

DO NOT ASSUME THAT EVERY PERSON, IN EVERY COUNTRY, BOTH MALE AND FEMALE, YOUNG AND OLD, BEHAVES IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!!!!

Example ...
"Everyone uses mobiles nowadays." No they do not. Go to poor countries in Africa. Of course, then some people say (sometimes in the same essay!) "Old people cannot use modern technology." What?!

It's not only a question of fact. This kind of thing impacts your scores because you are not demonstrating to the examiner that you can use a variety of language (e.g. adverbs) or present both sides of an argument clearly. In addition, such essays are highly unlikely to have a sufficient range of grammar. For instance, conditional sentences are usually not used because there are no 'ifs' - everything is the same for everyone.

If you understand that, the assessments (from me, at least) will improve dramatically!

I don't like giving bad assessments! Honestly!
All the best,
David
Owais

Re: Read this before you post any T2!!!

Post by Owais »

Thank you Mr. David for your valuable help.

I guess the next very common issue that you pointed out in many of our essays was the issue of deliberately avoiding personal pronouns when they were most certainly required in the essay. i.e. "personalizing the conclusion". People use phrases like; Hence it is believed, Thus it can be said instead of I agree/disagree.

Regards
Owais