IELTS - General On March 28th

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
sanjshu

IELTS - General On March 28th

Post by sanjshu »

Please help any related answers...
sanjshu

Re: IELTS - General On March 28th

Post by sanjshu »

Email - vodafonesanj@gmail.com
Whatsapp - +94710191617
sanjshu

Post by sanjshu »

Sample General IELTS Letter and Essays

You are going on a month training programmer to the UK and know that the head of the course would like one of the participants to be the social events’ organizer.
Write a letter to the Training Organizer
• expressing your interest in the role
• requesting more information about it
• explaining what experience you have

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am one of the trainees due to attend the ‘customer care’ course in June and I am writing to tell you my interest in being the social events’ organizer for the group.
Could you please send me a bit more information about the size and background of the group and give me a clue about the facilities at the training venue and some stuff there is to see and do in the local area. From the programmer I have got, it seems that trainees will be free three evenings in the week and after 1.00 pm on Saturdays at the weekend.
I have some experience of acting in this role as we often run courses here for overseas colleagues and in the past I have been asked to keep myself busy with the social programmer: trips, nights-out, group competitions etc. This is a role that I absolutely love.
Please drop me a line if you want any further information or would like me to provide you with the names of referees.
I look forward to hearing from you right away.
Best regards,
Markey
Client Advisor

Marina has just started a new course at college and her tutor has asked her to write him a letter telling him something about her.

Dear Tutor,
I have come to Brighton College from Singapore, Where I was a student for ten years. I have already taken examinations in Singapore in English, Biology, Computer and Math’s. My highest score was for Computer: I got grade A.
When I was a student in Singapore I also had a part-time job in a shop. My uncle owns a supermarket and so I helped him in the evenings. I worked there four nights a week and I think this was very good experience for me.
At the weekends, I usually played volleyball with friends or, if the weather was bad, we used to go to the theatre, which is very popular in Singapore. Because of my part-time job, I also spent a lot of time studying at the weekend.
I haven’t been to many other places. My father took me to Thailand once. Three weeks after we returned he also went to Malaysia and took the whole family.
This is a brief description of my background.
Best wishes,
Marina

You have recently moved to a different house.
Write a letter to an English-speaking friend. In your letter
• explain why you have moved
• describe the new house
• invite your friend to come and visit

Dear Thomas,
I am writing to let you know that at last we have moved to a bigger house. We just couldn’t go on living in the two-bedroom bungalow now that the twins are growing up and the new baby has arrived. So we started looking- and one thing led to another and finally here we are in our new home.
I’m sure you’ll like it. We have three bedrooms now, and a very modern bathroom and kitchen. The kids are happy because there is much more space with the big living room and the garden outside. But Daniel is the happiest of all because he doesn’t need to do much decorating.
Why don’t you come round this weekend and see what you think of our new place? We would all love to see you and if the weather is good we can have a barbecue in the garden.
Our new address and phone number are below, so give us a call and let us know when to expect you.
Lots of love,
Peter

You are part of a group of musicians who meet on Monday and Wednesday evenings to practice in the community hall. You have been told, however, that it is no longer possible for the group to use the hall.
Write a letter to the manager. In the letter:
• describe what the group does
• explain why the group is good for the community
• suggest alternative days and times for practice

Dear Mr.Daniel,
I am writing on behalf of a group of musicians called The IPA Band; who have been using the community hall for rehearsals. Until recently, they have been using the town hall to practice. However, they were informed by the council secretary that they would no longer be allowed to do so, but were not given any reason why.
The band has an upcoming set of gigs at the local community center, which would bring in extra revenue for the centers renovation fund, as they have decided to donate all profits from the gigs. If it is a case of changing the days of practice, the groups are happy to do so; Fridays and Thursdays would also be suitable for them. I would welcome the chance to discuss the matter further with you.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Yours sincerely,
R. DAVIS

You share a parking area with several neighbors and have recently started having problems. Write a letter to be copied to all neighbors that share the parking area
• explaining the problems
• suggesting ways to help the situation
• proposing a possible meeting

Dear Neighbors,
I am writing to inform you of a number of problems I have had recently concerning the communal parking space. As you are aware, every resident in this block is allocated one space in the parking area. Since the beginning of the month, however, I have on several occasions been unable to find a parking space when I return home from work.
This must mean that either some residents are using the area for more than one car or that non- residents are using the parking area. Also, I have noticed that the parking area is being used more and more frequently as an area to dump unwanted furniture which is untidy and a potential health risk.
I am not blaming any individual for these problems but feel that as a group of residents we should act together to avoid any repetition of these problems in the future perhaps by putting up much clearer signs.
I would like to suggest that we meet to discuss these and other issues you may have on Monday March 18th at 8.00 pm. I am happy to host this meeting in my flat (Flat 1). Please call to let me know if you would be interested in attending this meeting: 2775 483.
Best regards,
David Lee.

You work in a busy but poorly organized office and you are keen to be promoted. Your employer needs to find a new supervisor for your department.
Write a letter to your employer. In the letter
• ask to be considered for this job
• explain why you would be a suitable candidate
• outline the current problems and the changes you would like to make

Dear Mr. Green
It is now three years since I joined this company and while I find my current position of administrative assistant very rewarding, I feel I am ready to take on a more challenging role. I would therefore like to apply for the position of office supervisor.
I have qualifications in business management and I have over ten years’ experience working in this industry. I have also recently taken a course in team leadership. During my time here I have been responsible for instigating several new systems. As you are aware, many of the operating systems we currently use are outdated and are inadequate for dealing with the large number of customers we now have. If I were given the opportunity to manage this area then I would plan to gradually update these systems so that the office can run more smoothly.
I am enthusiastic and energetic employee and I feel that I am well qualified for this role.
I would be grateful if you could consider me for this position.
Yours sincerely

Finding it hard to remember important facts and figures? Improve your memory in 10 weeks with our Memory Course. Places are limited and the course is available for only a short time.
Apply in writing to:
You see the above advertisement for a course designed to help improve your memory. Write a letter to the organizer of the course. In the letter
• give some background information about yourself
• explain your own problems and why you would like to do the course
• enquire about the methods used on the course
• enquire about course fees and dates

Dear Sir or Madam
I am a student at Manchester University and I recently saw an advertisement for your course on improving memory. I am a mature student as I began working when I finished high school, then married and looked after three children. Having returned to studying after a break of ten years, I am finding it quite difficult to remember important facts from my course. I find that I have to concentrate very hard to memories even small amounts of information. I have tried using acronyms to remind me of important facts, but I still find it rather difficult. I have heard about visualization and association techniques, but I am not sure how to use these effectively and I would be very interested in learning other strategies.
I would be grateful if you could give me more detailed information about the methods that you use on the course as well as the cost and dates of your courses. As I am a full-time mother and a part-time student I do not have a great deal of free time, so I hope you can offer flexible hours.
I think I could benefit a great deal from your course and look forward to your reply.
Yours faithfully

Write a letter to your friend about a museum that you have visited. Write three paragraphs that focus on
• where you went
• what you saw there
• how you felt about it

Dear Tina,
I have just returned home from very exciting trip to Amsterdam in Holland. I went there with my family for a long weekend. We stayed in a pretty little hotel in the center of the city, which was terribly convenient.
While we were there we visited the Van Gogh Museum. Van Gogh is a well-known painter and the museum was a memorable experience. It has many of Van Gogh’s paintings on display and some of them are incredibly moving. I don’t think Van Gogh was always happy and this shows in his work. I spent ages looking at the paintings and I bought some very attractive prints before I left.
When Ii got home, I found some unusual frames for the prints and now they are hanging on my bedroom wall. I think Amsterdam will always be a special place for me.
Maria

You have a friend who lives in a city abroad. You have decided that you would like to apply to do a course at one of the colleges in this city. Write to your friend explaining what you would like to do. Tell him/her what type of work or studies you have been doing for the past few years and ask for assistance in contacting an appropriate institution.

Dear Alison,
Sorry I haven’t written for ages. I’ve been so busy over the last year and I never seem to have a minute to myself
I’d like to study Computer Science at university in US next year and I hope you can give me some advice. I think I would prefer NYC because I know a few people from my visit last year.
This year I’m doing math and physics at school and I hope to do well in my exams. However, I really don’t know which university to apply to, so could you send me some information about different colleges? Also can you find out what qualifications I need? For instance, as an overseas student, do I have to take an English test?
I hope you don’t mind doing this for me. It is much better to get this information from someone who lives in the country, so I hope to hear from you soon.
Many thanks,

You have recently bought a Telephone with answer machine from an online shop. The web page said that the answer machine shows you a list of who left a message so you can choose which to play first. But after taking it home you find out that only the most recent call is kept in the calls list.
Write an e-mail letter to the store manager. In your e-mail:
• say who you are
• explain the problem
• say what action you would like the store to take

Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is Colet Keneddy and I am a new internet customer. On Wednesday I purchased a Telephone from your online shop with an answer machine, only the most recent call is kept in the calls list.
The web page stated that the answer machine was a new model capable that the answer machine shows you a list of who left a message so you can choose which to play first. The user manual states quite clearly that it will only play the most recent calls and it does not record all messages.
I wish to exchange the model for one that will list all messages. I do not wish to spend any more money so the replacement model must not be more expensive. If you do not have a suitable replacement, then please contact me by e-mail so I can return the item for a full refund, including postage and packaging costs. Please let me know your postal address for returns.
I look forward to your early response by e-mail, and I trust that you will update your web page so that it contains the correct information.
Yours faithfully
Colet Keneddy

An English-speaking friend has written to you to ask you how your IELTS studies are going.
Write a letter telling your friend how you are preparing for the test.
In your letter:
• say what progress you are making
• explain how you are preparing for the test
• say which section you are finding the most difficult

Dear Shelley,
Thanks for your reply. It’s good to hear from you again and I hope you are doing well. My preparation for the IELTS is going OK but I don’t have enough time for studying. I am too tired in the evenings after a full day in the office, so I have to rely on the weekends. I might need to book some private lessons if I want a good score.
One thing I like to do is to read newspapers in English whilst I travel to work on the train. This is helping me with my vocabulary and grammar. I also send out emails in English to practice for the writing section. When I get home I like to watch British TV shows, with the subtitles turned off. My listening skills have improved greatly since I started watching TV, which is more interesting than listening to music.
The most difficult section for me is the writing section because my grammar is not good enough. I am trying my best to learn the rules of English but some of the verbs seem to have more than one meaning and this is causing me trouble. I hope to sit the test in about three months.
Best wishes,
Tina

Write a semi-formal letter to a person and invite her/ him to a celebratory event. Write three paragraphs that focus on
• venue, date and time
• atmosphere of celebratory
• response to the invitation

Dear Ms. Vernet,
I am writing to invite you to a reception to celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Foxtrot at 8.00 pm February 10th. As a regular and valued customer of ours, we would very much like you and a guest to be present on this special occasion for us.
We are hoping that around 200 people that we genuinely consider as friends of our club will be able to attend. As well as a special buffet, you will be able to enjoy a number of performances from some of the musicians that have helped to create the special atmosphere of evenings at The Foxtrot over the past five decades.
Please bring the enclosed invitation to show at the door and please call or e-mail us if you have any special requests for the evening. We look forward to sharing the special evening with you.
Best regards
Kathy Tayler

Write a letter to an electronics company requesting information about their latest model of digital camera you have seen advertised.
Ask about the following items:
• the price and availability of the new camera
• the exact size and special functions of the set

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to request information from you about your new Nikon D5200 digital camera that I saw advertised on television last night, 8 February.
First of all, I would like to know exactly how much the Nikon D5200 costs. It would also be useful if you could tell me where I can buy it, and when exactly it will be on sale. In addition, I need to know the LCD screen size and resolution: is the screen larger than 3 inches wide, for example? I enjoy new technology very much, so I am hopeful that your new product is going to have some feature that will set it apart from all the other cameras on the market.
I would be very grateful if you could send me some more information about the new model, the Nikon D5200, at your earliest convenience.
Yours faithfully
Janet Jenkins

You want to start your own small business. Write a letter to a bank requesting information about obtaining a business loan to finance your new company. Include the following information:
• what kind of business you want to start
• how much money you need
• the length of time over which you would expect to repay the money

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to ask for information concerning a loan. I am planning to start a new business, which is my very first attempt, and I need some help.
I am hoping to set up a small restaurant near University of Brighton. My market research suggests that currently we do not have any restaurant near the university. Approximately 2000 students come and go by the area each day, and believe my new business will allow them to have a meal break for the day.
Since I need a sum of £30000 to start up the business, I would like to know what interest rate you offer. I would hope to repay the sum within five years at most, so I wonder what kind of deal you can offer. Could you therefore send some details of your business loan conditions to the e-mail address below, or call (044) 710727102 during the daytime?
I very much look forward to receiving your prompt reply.
Your faithfully,

Your family is going to move to another town. Write a letter to the Principal of a local school asking if they will accept your son. Describe his academic achievements and scope of interests.

Dear Principal,
I am writing to ask you if there is a place in your school for my son, Ryan Larkin. Ryan is in Form 9 at his present school. He is interested in Science subjects, so we are keen to find a school with good science laboratories and teachers.
I am enclosing a copy of Ryan’s school report for last year, which shows his good marks in science and his love of sport, particularly, football. He is captain of the under 15’s team which plays near our house. He is also interested in music, and is part of his school orchestra.
Please let us know if you have an orchestra at your school. We are going to arrive at our new home in June next year, and we are looking for a house in your area. We will be happy to provide you with more information about Ryan, and we are looking forward to receiving information about your school.
I do hope you can find place at your school for a boy with Ryan’s interests.
Yours faithfully
Judy Larkin

Write a letter to your friend/family to describe an accident that has happened to you and ask for help.

Hi David and Jin!
This is just a short letter to let you know that I’m in hospital – but don’t worry, it’s nothing too serious, just a broken ankle. It happened on Sunday evening when I was dancing. I jumped up and landed on the side of my foot.
The doctors say it is a complicated break, so I have to stay here for a week for more x-rays. It’s a real drag, I can tell you. I’ve got lots of books and magazines, but even so, being in hospital is dead boring!
I’m not allowed to leave my room, so I can’t go for a walk, and I don’t know what to do with my time. Anyway, it’d be great to hear from you with any news. A funny letter would really cheer me up. Do you think you could send me some magazines or something?
Hope to see you soon.
Lots of love,
Emily

As an international student in Sweden, you have an account with a local bank. The monthly bank transfer you receive from your parents has been delayed this month due to an error at your parents’ bank. Write a letter to your bank. In your letter:
• introduce yourself and ask for a loan
• say why you need the money
• tell how you intend to pay back the money

Dear Sir or Madam
I am an international student from Indonesia studying Biology at Umea University; I have had my account with you for about two years already, since I arrived in Sweden and have always kept this account in credit. I am writing to you, as I would like to request a temporary loan so that I can meet my expenses this month.
My parents send me a regular bank transfer of 1700 Euro every month. Until now, I have always received this monthly bank transfer without any difficulty. Unfortunately, however, there has been an error at the bank branch in Jakarta and so my parents have not been able to send me money this month. This will be a problem for me because I have to pay rent to my landlord of 700 Euro per month which is due next week. I also need money to cover general living expenses, such as transport to and from college, etc. I estimate that I will be able to keep my living expenses down to 600 Euro this month in order to save money.
I would therefore like to request a temporary loan of 500 Euro for a maximum period of one month until my parents’ bank transfer arrives. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Yours faithfully
Suhail Salamat

You are organizing a trip to the Black Mountains in West Wales for a group of students from Canterbury in Kent, UK. Write to the manager of Student Hostel Services and explain when you want to visit the Black Mountains, how long you will stay, how many students are in your party, and what accommodations you will require.

To Whom It May Concern,
I am arranging a trip to your area. I am writing to seek accommodation in the Black Mountains for a group of students from Canterbury.
We expect to be in the Black Mountains between July 4 and July 17. There are sixteen people in our group, seven men and nine women. The seven men will accept dormitory accommodation, and the women are happy to share rooms. We hope to keep our expenses as low as possible.
Could you please provide me with information regarding recreational services in the area? The group will bring their own boots for bush-walking, but we are hoping to hire equipment for other sports, like skiing. Some of our group will want to hire geological picks and other equipment, if possible. Could you provide this? We also need to know about access to caves and other interesting geological sites in the area.
I am looking forward to receiving information about the Student Hostel services and other facilities.
Yours faithfully

You are a student at University of Sydney. Your ID card has been stolen. Write to the Local Police Station, giving details of who you are, what happened and asking what you should do to get a new ID card.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to report the theft of my ID card. I am currently studying chemical engineering at University of Sydney, and I came to Australia in August 2012. My course here ends in September next year. I lost my ID card at Milsons Point Station on 21 April. I was about to catch the 9.30 morning train to Town Hall Station, and I was having a cup of coffee at the snack bar in the train station while I waited. The ID card was in the side pocket of my day-pack, which I carried on my shoulder. This must have been snatched while I was drinking the coffee, although I did not notice it had gone until I left the snack bar at 9.20.
My ID number is … and I would be grateful if you could inform me of what I must do to obtain another ID card I have some copies of my lost ID card; do I need to provide them? Please let me know of the procedures and the cost of a new ID card.
Yours faithfully
Judith White

You had a meal at a restaurant. You are not happy with the service. Write to the manager to complain about it. Give details about the problems and request some compensation or refund.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I regret to inform you that I was not at all satisfied with your service and terrible meal my boyfriend and I were offered at your restaurant last week.
As it was my birthday, my boyfriend wanted to arrange a very special meal for us. Your restaurant was recommended in the Trip Advisor website, so we were confident of a lovely evening. When we arrived, your waitress gave us an extremely unfriendly reception and made us wait without any explanation for twenty minutes. When we were finally seated, we had to wait another twenty minutes for our order to be taken. We both ordered fish and chips – mine was cold and my boyfriend’s was burnt. chips with mushy peas and homemade tartar sauce the menu temptingly described, but the homemade tartar sauce came in Heinz plastic containers and the peas were not mushy peas either, no explanation or apology was given. We were extremely disappointed and complained at the time, but the waitress was very unhelpful and said there was nothing he could do.
I expect a full refund for the horrible meal served to me and my boyfriend. I trust this matter will receive your prompt attention or I will be forced to report the matter to the local council.
Yours faithfully

Last year you attended a presentation skill course at the Sydney College of Australia. Your new employer has asked you to provide copies of your reports and assignments as quickly as possible. Write to the director of the school and request these documents.

Dear Mrs. Morris
I am writing to request your help. I attended a presentation skill course at your college from 12 September, 2012. My full name is Maryam Anas and my student number was GP 6731. The course I attended was Presentations skills training course, how to create and give successful presentations. My class instructors were James White and Anna Davis.
I am about to start work at a very new agency and they have asked me to provide information about the presentation skill and any assignments and reports. Unfortunately, I left all copies of these documents at my friend’s house and cannot contact her at present. Therefore, I would be very grateful if you could send me copies of the course outline, the two written assignments and the end of course report as soon as possible.
I would be happy to re-fund any postal charges. Thank you so much for your help in this matter. I look forward to receiving the copy outlines,
Yours sincerely,

You are looking for a part-time job. Write a letter to an employment agency. In your letter:
• introduce yourself
• explain what sort of job you would like
• say what experience and skills you have

Dear Sir / Madam,
I am a Dutch national from Amsterdam and at present, I am studying for a Master’s degree in Information Technology here, at the Vrije University, where I have been for the last three months. I am looking for a part-time job and I wonder if you can help me.
Probably, I would like an office job, perhaps working as a secretary, office administrator or typist. I can only work during the afternoons and at weekends as my university studies occupy most of the day. I would be ready to start immediately. As you can see from Curriculum Vitae, I have a degree in IT from the University of Amsterdam.
I am a competent typist and I am computer-literate. In addition, I speak Dutch and German fluently and I have been learning English for the past three years. While I studied for my degree, I worked as a part-time office manager for an import-export firm in Amsterdam. In recent years, I have also had temporary summer job as a hotel receptionist in Brussels, Belgium.
I am looking forward to hearing from you,
You’re faithfully,

You travelled by plain last week and your luggage was lost. You have still heard nothing from the airline company.
Write to the airline explain what happened. Describe your luggage and tell them what was in it. Find out what they are going to do about it.

Dear Sir / Madam,
I was one of the passengers who took the flight from Istanbul (Turkey) to Gatwick (London) on 2nd of July. Unfortunately, my luggage did not come out after the flight. Although I have explained this to Mr. Timpson who was in charge at the Luggage Claim Office and I have not heard from him as of now.
My luggage is Black whose size is 55 x 40 x 20 cm. There are two stickers on one side and one yellow heart shape sticker on the other side.
There are a few books and a copy of my thesis in that luggage which I need for the conference on 10th of July.
I would deeply appreciate if you could give me a prompt reply at your most convenient. My flight number and luggage claim number are written below;
Flight No: EM1R7SL
Luggage Claim no.: 01538
You’re faithfully,
Mehmet Osman

In many countries the level of crime is increasing and crimes are becoming more violent.
Why do you think this is and what can be done about it?

It is true that the crime rate is increasing in many areas of the world. Many governments react to this problem by building prisons to contain the criminals. This has proved so unsuccessful that each year bigger and tougher prisons are needed. Perhaps we need to go back to the basics of this problem and assess the possible causes.
One of the reasons that are often given is the increase in violence both on television and in computer games. While this may be responsible for making crimes more violent, I think, it is unrealistic to lay the blame for all criminal activity on the media. I think the main cause of the crime is the increasing gap between the rich and the poor, as well as the increasing use of drugs. The majority of crimes are being committed by people in need who are forced to take what they do not have and by people addicted to drugs.
Solving these problems is not easy. We could try to ensure that more jobs are created so that the divide between rich poor is reduced. However, criminals need to be trained and rehabilitated so that they can enter the workforce. Furthermore, providing employment only addresses part of this problem; so far there has been little success in the war against drugs.
I believe that crime will continue to rise, particularly in crowded and overpopulated areas, unless we can find an effective way to address these issues. Perhaps we can help to break the cycle by trying to ensure fewer young people enter a life of crime in the first place. We could do this through education and by making sure that they are able to work.

Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools.
Discus both these views and give your own opinion.

Some countries have single-sex education models, while in others both single sex and mixed schools co-exist and it is up to the parents or the children to decide which model is preferable.
Some educationalists think it is more effective to educate boys and girls in single-sex schools because they believe this environment reduces distractions and encourages pupils to concentrate on their studies. This is probably true to some extent. It also allows more equality among pupils and gives more opportunity to all those at the school to choose students more freely without gender prejudice. For example, a much higher proportion of girls study science to a high level when they attend girls’ schools than their counterparts in mixed schools do. Similarly, boys in single-sex schools are more likely to take cookery classes and study languages, which are often thought of as traditional subjects for girls.
On the other hand, some experts would argue that mixed schools prepare their pupils better for their future lives. Girls and boys learn to live and work together form an early age and are consequently not emotionally underdeveloped in their relations with the opposite sex. They are also able to learn from each other, and to experience different types of skill and talent then might be evident in a single gender environment.
Personally, I think that there are advantages to both systems. I went to a mixed school, but feel that I myself missed the opportunity to specialize in science because it was seen as the natural domain and career path for boys when I was a girl. So because of that, I would have preferred to go to a girls’ school .But hopefully times have changed and both genders of student can have equal chances to study what they want to in whichever type of school they attend.

Modern technology is changing our world. This has advantages such as bringing people closer together through communication. It also has disadvantages such as destroying the differences between cultures. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Modern technology with its advantages and disadvantages has changed today’s world enormously. Communication allows people all over the world to stay in contact with each other. For instance, I can easily exchange e-mails with a good friend of mine who recently had to move back to her mother country, Malaysia. Furthermore, if I have to make a really important decision or something is bothering me, I simply have to press the buttons on my mobile phone in order to ask my parents or a good friend for advice.
Additionally, technology remarkably contributes towards making everyday procedures more convenient as well as helping to transmit messages rapidly. For example, an appointment that cannot be met due to an unexpected incident can quickly be cancelled by writing a text message or, in terms of business, employees can send an e-mail cancelling or postponing a meeting which will be received within seconds by their business partners.
While improvements in technology are, to a large extent, helpful, they do have a disadvantageous side to them. The most significant disadvantage is the westernization of traditional cultures, which we can see in the growing number of fast food outlets for example. We can also see this in the way that foreign words are being incorporated into local languages.
On the whole, I agree to a great extent that technology is bringing people closer together and this can only be a good thing, but the disadvantage is that people may take ideas from other cultures and forget their own traditions.

In some countries in Europe, some children from the age of 11 or 13 go to schools to learn more practical skills that will help them get a job. Other children stay in schools which provide a more general academic education.
What should schools do to prepare students for the world of work?

We live in a changing world, one that needs adaptable students who are ready to deal with the challenges of the communications age. However, we must not overlook the fact that students need to have some practical skills which will also help them in the future. It is, therefore, the responsibility of schools to provide a balance between the two.
By the age of 11 or 13, some children have a vague idea of what they may want to do as a career; on the other hand, many do not. In my opinion, it is unfair to expect children to decide whether or not they want to specialize in vocational or academic training at such a young age. Schools should offer a wide variety of subjects for children to choose from and not force them onto a path they may later regret.
The majority of occupations today require an understanding of the basic academic skills. Therefore, even if a child does know that they want to follow a career in a particular trade, institutions that offer practical subjects must include core subjects such as literacy and arithmetic, as well as computer literacy, as a part of their curriculum.
In my country, children do not have to specialize until they reach the age of 76. This means they have been taught several subjects and can decide what they want to do when they complete their schooling.
Today there are many career options for children and they are no longer restricted in their choice of work. It is the duty of the school to give young learners the chance to choose their own career options or, at least provide them with the right tools to truly make it in the modern world.

Television dominates the free-time for too many people. It can make people lazy and prevent them from socializing with others. Do you agree or disagree?

Television plays a major part in the majority of peoples’ lives; soap operas, sports programmers, music programmers, everyone has their favorites. However, watching television can take up a lot of spare time which could be used for social or leisure activities. In my opinion, if we limit the amount of television we watch, we can also enjoy our free time.
Television in some ways is a device that allows the viewer to relate to what is happening on the screen. We choose our favorite music from videos, get news, watch our preferred football teams, connect to the characters in the family drama and watch educational documentaries. We discuss our preferences with friends and co-workers when we talk to them so it can be said that TV enriches our emotional and cultural selves.
On the other hand, television has negative effects on the body, as well as social interaction. Doctors tell us that too much time sat down can lead to weight gain and heart disease and if we are sitting in front of the TV all the time it means we are not going out to meet our friends. I believe, if we watch television in moderation, we can enjoy our favorite programmers as well as have an active social life.
As a child, my parents insisted that I only watched one or two programmers a night. Today I captain my local football team and enjoy talking about the previous week’s programming after a match on Saturday. It is my opinion that, if we sit at home all the time watching television and do not go out, then it will have an unhealthy effect on our bodies, minds and friendships. However, if we regulate how much we watch and get on with other things, then TV can be an important part of our social lives.

In many countries it is now illegal to smoke in public places. It is only fair that people who wish to smoke should have to leave the building. Do you agree or disagree?

The issue of smoking and smoking bans is an emotive one because smokers and non-smokers both tend to hold strong views about their rights. Many countries have now chosen to ban smoking altogether from indoor areas and public places, which is a radical change from the way things used to be until quite recently.
Non-smokers have been complaining for years that they should not have to breathe in other people’s smoke in places such as the workplace, restaurants and cafes and on buses, trains and planes. It is hard to argue that non-smokers do not have a right to be protected from this. Smoking also causes problems for the owners and workers in such places who have to clean up after smokers or redecorate more often.
Generally speaking, therefore, I am in favor of smoke-free workplaces, transport and buildings. Non-smokers should not have other people’s smoke imposed on them. We have to accept, however, that there are a large number of people who smoke and will continue to smoke. Many of them enjoy the company of other smokers and feel it is unfair that they should always be made to stand in doorways when they want to smoke.
In a consumer age that seems to put choice above everything else, shouldn’t they have the right to meet and socialize with other smokers if they want to? A more balanced policy than the one now in place in many countries would be to allow certain cafes and restaurants to apply for a smoking license. These places would then have to advertise themselves as smoking places. Certain areas of buildings such as workplaces could also be made into smoking rooms or areas but only if the company wished to. Such measures would still give the majority their smoke-free environment but protect the wishes of the minority that smoke.

Some people warn that the era of silver screen is coming to an end and that people will eventually lose interest in going to the cinema.
Do you agree or disagree with this view?

The cinema has been a popular form of entertainment for many decades. Even the silent films of the early twentieth century were loved by audiences around the world. Hollywood is now an enormous business and film stars like the Australian actress Nicole Kidman earn millions of dollars.
People think that going to the cinema will become out of date because of the increase in the production of DVDs and videos. It’s certainly true that we can all stay at home now and watch films in comfort. Also the cost of these films is cheaper for a big family than going to the cinema. Young people enjoy spending a night at home and watch a DVD or video. And small children adore videos because they can watch them over and over again.
However, the cinema in my home country are still full every weekend and when a new film is released we are all very keen to go and watch it. In fact, many small cinemas have been rebuilt and we can now go to large centers that have six or eight cinema screens and show up to ten different films a night. An evening out at the cinema is fun and some films, particularly horror and science fiction films, are much better on the big screen.
So it seems that we are enjoying both the cinema and the facilities that technology can offer us and that each of these has its merits. In my view, people will never stop going to the cinema but they will watch DVDs as well.

Disruptive school students have a negative influence on others. Students who are noisy and disobedient should be grouped together and taught separately.

There is no doubt that some students in schools behave badly and their behavior causes difficulty for others either because it has a negative effect on the group or because ordinary students find it difficult to study with them.
One solution is to take these students away and teach them on their own. However, if we simply have them removed after one or two warnings, we are limiting their educational opportunities because it seems to me that a school which caters for difficult students is a sort of “prison” whatever name you give it and the people who go there may never recover from the experience. This can then cause problems for the wider society.
Perhaps we need to look at why the disruptive students behave badly before we separate them. Disruptive students may be very intelligent and find the classes boring because the work is too easy. Perhaps these students need extra lessons rather than separate lessons. Or perhaps the teachers are uninspiring and this results in behavioral problems so we need better teachers. On the other hand, most students put up with this situation rather than cause trouble, and some people argue that we have to learn to suffer bad teachers and boring situations and that students who can’t learn this lesson need to be taught separately.
So before we condemn the students to a special school, we should look at factors such as the teaching, because once the children have been separated, it is very unlikely that they will be brought back.
member91

Post by member91 »

Hi,
Are you sure about your contact number? Is it correct?
sanjshu

Post by sanjshu »

yes its correct...
I'm from sri lanka...
thuthime

Post by thuthime »

Any one sat for the exam yet ????
namalbest

Post by namalbest »