Speaking about my favorite foods and friends

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
alaamagdy007

Speaking about my favorite foods and friends

Post by alaamagdy007 »

Hi, this is my 2nd trial ,This time i will be speaking about my favorite foods and friends,please rate and correct :)
Attachments
Alaa 2st trial.mp3
(4.64 MiB) Downloaded 607 times
Dima

Re: Speaking about my favorite foods and friends

Post by Dima »

Hi! Are you from Italy? When are you going to take IELTS? :)
alaamagdy007

Post by alaamagdy007 »

Hi Dima, i guess that u thought that am Italian because of the pizza and the chao.. Huh? :D.. Actually am not italian, i am Egyptian ;) .. I am taking the exam at the 29th of January.. How do you like my English? Are you Italian? And when are you going to the exam?
Dima

Post by Dima »

alaamagdy007 wrote:Hi Dima, i guess that u thought that am Italian because of the pizza and the chao.. Huh? :D.. Actually am not italian, i am Egyptian ;) .. I am taking the exam at the 29th of January.. How do you like my English? Are you Italian? And when are you going to the exam?
Assalamualeikum! Well, if it is the second part, your English is good but speaking time is too long. I am in Italy, I am going to take IELTS on 31st of January :) Ciao!
alaamagdy007

Post by alaamagdy007 »

We allaikum alsalam :) .. LOL :)... I really wish you the best in the exam and if you need to exchange writing essays or practice speaking i would be happy to do so since i am not getting any feedbacks on either my writing or speaking posts. My skype is alaamagdy007.. Ciao :)
Bekhruz

Post by Bekhruz »

i dont understand is it general topic or specific cue card ???? :roll:
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Alaamagdy007,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your favorite kinds of food and friends.
First, I’d like to say that I’m sorry I didn’t get to this recording before your test. Hopefully, this feedback can still be of some general use.
Your vocabulary is quite extensive, for the most part. You did, however, say the word “specific” about four times during the speech, two times when you were talking about seasonings, other times when you said “no specific reason” and “specific restaurants.” Make a list of synonyms for this word so that you don’t repeat yourself so often.
You had good transitions between topics, which helps the reader follow your train of thought. I was a bit confused by the jump from food to friends. I am guessing you were just talking in general and weren’t following any specific cue card.
One thing that I noticed was that you tended to say, “okay” a lot during the second half or so of the recording. This interrupted your fluency. Try to avoid saying it so much. It’s like you’re asking your listener to confirm everything you just said several times as you speak.
Your pronunciation is very clear and your speech easy to understand. I would suggest, however, that you enunciate the “t” at the end of “restaurant” so that it is audible. Another word to work on is “basically.” The “s” in this word is not voiced, meaning that it doesn’t sound like a “z.” You want this to be a voiceless “s” sound, and you shouldn’t feel vibrations in your throat as you say it. Finally, the word “thoughts” has a short /o/ sound, as in the word “hot.” You’re saying it with a long /o/, as in “float.”
Here are a few other notes:
--as a man who tend to go – as a man who TENDS to go
--in a Christmastime – AT Christmastime
--all the family gather around the table – all the family GATHERS around the table
--In a sense, I don’t might going to Italian cuisine – I don’t mind going to an Italian restaurant. “Cuisine” is not appropriate for talking about the type of restaurant you’re going to. The word is more a style of cooking.

Best wishes as you continue to practice!