Cambridge5,Task1,Test1 (Sorry I couldn't upload the graph)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
a1sirafy

Cambridge5,Task1,Test1 (Sorry I couldn't upload the graph)

Post by a1sirafy »

The graph gives information on the percentages of people aged 65 or more from 1940 to 2040, in Japan, Sweden, and the USA.

Generally speaking, it is clear that in 1940 less than 10% of the population in ,the three countries, were made up of persons aged 65 or more, and that these proportions are expected to increase to around,roughly, 25% by 2040 in all these states.

In more detail, in 1940 this age group comprised 5%, about 6%, and nearly 9% in Japan, Sweden, and USA respectively. Between 1940 and 1980 these figures roses gradually in both Sweden and USA to reach 15% for the former and just under this percentage for the later. From 1980 to around 2013 the number of those people levelled off in the USA at just under 15%, while it fell slightly in Sweden before soaring in last 90s to reach 20% by the end of this period.
In Japan, by contrast, the percentage of this age group showed steady decline from 1940 - 1960, then plateaued until late 80s, after which it increased constantly to restore its original figure in 2013.

Then, it is speculated that the figures in Japan will continue to rise considerably before soaring in 2030 to end at first place (well over 25%) in 2040.Meanwhile these trends in USA and Sweden are expected to still going upwards to 25% for Sweden and about 23% in the USA.

To sum up, it is obvious that numbers of people aged 65 and over are expected to keep rising during the nearest future.
iristja

Re: Cambridge5,Task1,Test1 (Sorry I couldn't upload the grap

Post by iristja »

Because I believe that also learning from others and checking how they can improve is something I learn a lot from I checked your answer, but keep in mind: I am not a native speaker and I will have my IELTS exam coming saturday.

I made red what I should not include and green what I added, I hope it is helpfull and I also interested in if you don't agree to certain things :). Orange what I didnt understand, but are just comments.
Still with me ;-)?
a1sirafy wrote:The graph gives information on the percentages of people aged above 65 or more from 1940 to 2040, in Japan, Sweden, and the USA. (To ben honest, I don't get it, currently it is the year 2014 how can you say something about 2040? Maybe something about expectated?

Generally speaking, it is clear that in 1940 less than 10% of the population in ,the three countries, were made up of persons aged 65 or more (It is the second time you say the same thing, but I already changed the first thing so it is probably okay now), and that these proportions are expected to increase to around,roughly, 25% by 2040 in all these states. former mentioned countries / in all researched countries

In more detail, in 1940 this age group comprised 5%, about 6%, and nearly 9% in Japan, Sweden, and USA respectively. Between 1940 and 1980 these figures rosesrise(In this case I am not sure, I am not native and I never paid attention at highschool when this was explained gradually in both Sweden and USA to reach 15% for the former and just under this percentage for the later. From 1980 to around 2013 the number of those people levelled off in the USA at just under 15%, while it fell slightly in Sweden before soaring in last 90s to reach 20% by the end of this period.
In Japan, by contrast, the percentage of this age group showed steady decline from 1940 - 1960, then plateaued until late 80s, after which it increased constantly to restore its original figure in 2013.

Then, it is speculated that the figures in Japan will continue to rise considerably before soaring in 2030 to end at first place (well over 25%) in 2040.Meanwhile these trends in USA and Sweden are expected to still going upwards to 25% for Sweden and about 23% in the USA.

To sum up, it is obvious that numbers of people aged 65 and over are expected to keep rising during the nearest future.
Overall I think you did a really good job, I am not that huge fan of figures, charts and numbers but you have a pretty big vocabulary in explaining als the different figures and their growths, declines and striking results.
a1sirafy

Post by a1sirafy »

Thank you very much for checking my writing. Your time and effort are much appreciated. Wish you the best in your exam.
Regarding the year 2040, it was the question that asked to write about the period from 1940 - 2040
In this phrase( Between 1940 and 1980 these figures roses),(roses) is wrong. The correct verb is rose, which is the past tense of (rise).
iristja

Post by iristja »

You are right about rose! I knew roses didn't sound right but couldn't come up with what it should be then.

Can you, by any change, take the time to look at my writing task in a different topic?

Thank you in advance!