Please help me to evaluate my first speaking post

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
nguyenquanghuy

Please help me to evaluate my first speaking post

Post by nguyenquanghuy »

The topic is "Describe an outdoor activity that you want to do", a task 2 topic.

Attached below is my recording.

Thank you so much!
Attachments
20141201 200436.mp3
outdoor activity
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Please help me to evaluate my first speaking post

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Nguyenquanghuy,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about camping. That is an enjoyable outdoor activity, for sure! I say that, but I’m not really into the lack of facilities. . . 

Anyway, your organization was quite clear, and you used nice introductory phrases and transitions, like, “moreover” and “firstly.” You spoke directly to the question and did not stray from it, which helps keep you on track and under your time limit on Part 2.

Moving on to your vocabulary, you used some good words, such as “appropriate” and “facilities.” However, I would encourage you to use very specific vocabulary. With such a topic as camping, you could have used words like, “tent,” “camp stove,” “tent stakes,” “cook-out,” “bonfire,” etc. Take advantage of the topic, and employ words that demonstrate your knowledge of the subject. On another note, when you tried to say the word “spectacular,” you just said “specular.”

As far as your pronunciation goes, you are quite easy to understand for the most part, although there were a couple of places where I wasn’t quite sure what you were saying, for example, right before you said, “moreover” at the beginning of the recording. Also, when you say “there,” you said, “zere,” and when you said, “sounds,” it sounded as if you said “sows.” Finally, when you said, “basic equipment,” you put an “s” at the end of equipment to make it plural, but it should have just been “equipment,” and you said, “baZic,” but the “s” in “basic” is voiceless, so your voice box does not vibrate when you say this letter in this word.

Here are a few grammar notes:

chit chat with my friends and families – FAMILY
I think that best time for camping – THE before “best time for camping”
in break – ON break
We were have to face with . . . – we have to face is/are

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
nguyenquanghuy

Re: Please help me to evaluate my first speaking post

Post by nguyenquanghuy »

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough remarks. I will try my best to improve my pronunciation at the second time.

Best,