RESULTS OF IELTS EXAM (11.OCT.2014)

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
setare

RESULTS OF IELTS EXAM (11.OCT.2014)

Post by setare »

Lets share our results! By the way I have not receive my result yet! :( :roll:
raisa

Re: RESULTS OF IELTS EXAM (11.OCT.2014)

Post by raisa »

i received my result today i got
L-6
R-6
S-6
W-5.5

OVERALL 6 BAND

with british council.
thanks
sinister_rock

Post by sinister_rock »

I got L 7.5 R 8.0 W 7.0 S 7.5 Overall 7.5

Test was taken at Melbourne, Australia.
fzsdjbncf2000

Post by fzsdjbncf2000 »

L8.5 R9.0 W7.5 S7.0 OA8.0 in Sydney

Last time I scored L8.5 R8.0 W6.0 S8.5 OA8.0.

I despise this exam as W and S look so subjective...

Post by 878787 »

Hi guys!

I also took the exam on the 11th at the Brisbane centre.

This was my first attempt, I found the reading to be the hardest but surprisingly did well at it.
I only practised my writing skills to get my head around the criteria especially for task 1 and also did a few practice runs of task 2. Both have been marked by an IELTS teacher who confirmed that my writing skills met easily the criteria in terms of contents, grammar, structures...for a band 8. I was confidence as I was myself a modern foreign language teacher and I am used to create example work for my students according to specific criteria. I also marked their essay (A-level French exam) with excellent feedback from my school exam board. This exam as very similar criteria. Funny enough, the topic given on the 11th was rather familiar to me as it required us to talk about new technology, a common topic for the French A-level.

I ended up having the following marks:

Listening: 8.5 Reading: 8 Writing: 6.5 Speaking: 8

I am not meeting the criteria as I need a 7 or above in writing. 0.5 mark missing. This sucks. I looked very carefully at the criteria again today, and I should really be between 7/8. No way 6.5. It is nearly insulting. I have considered re-writing but the price and the 8 weeks wait mean that I will not get my registration done by January 2015, start of school in Australia. So I am going to pay another 300 dollars to sit an exam again. I will learn nothing in between but maybe how to be a essay-robot meeting IELTS criteria. This will not improve my writing skills, neither my English.

All this to say that despite being one of the most common used English test, the fact that each skills are looked independently EACH TIME does not make it fair and accurate. I should be able to re-sit only the writing test for a 1/4 of the price.

So I have decided to give up on IELTS as I am lucky enough to be able to take 2 other exams. I feel sorry for all of you that have to go through this (Uni/Immigration). This should not be allowed, people should be able to keep their highest score for each skills if they re-take the exam several times. A simple change in the IELTS rules would make the test objective and more accessible for people who do not have 1000 dollars to through out of the windows.

I hope that some IELTS teachers, examiners, people working for the British Council or IPD, who believe in Education for all will have, in the future, the courage to suggest a more sensible approach to this exam. Researches, lectures, Phd students and Master students please provide evidence on this matter: does repeating 4-skills language test, when only one skill was weak, improve the general level of English ?

I'm disappointed that an educational institution, who supposedly celebrate language and culture, is turning into a money-making business...It is sad, very sad.
setare

Post by setare »

My test was taken in Tehran, Iran. The result has not been on the site yet :( :cry: :cry: :cry: does anybody have the same problem??