Please evaluate my task 2, my 4 try on 03/06

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
raghadmamd

Please evaluate my task 2, my 4 try on 03/06

Post by raghadmamd »

Many people believe that formal “pen and paper” examinations are not the best method of assessing educational achievement.
Discuss this view and give your own opinion.

Education is the most powerful weapon the can be used to change the world, this makes a continuous debate around the best way of evaluating the student’s progress. Many people argue that conventional “pen and paper “exams are still the best method of assessment. I strongly believe that there are more modern ways for appraisal of academic achievement.
For many people the sole way of assessment should be formal “pen and paper” tests at the end of each semester. They claim that this type of tests will fairly evaluate the degree of academic achievement and how much the student comprehend the total curriculum. The total degree of the test depends mainly on how many questions attempted and done right by the student. To illustrate, the education board in Egypt is adopted the formal examination in different school grades from primary to tertiary education. This example makes it clear that many countries are still trusted this way of examination.

Despite the benefits of the old formal exams, many people feel that it is the ideal time to have an advanced methods of assessment because conventional tests are depending mainly on rote-learning and are not allowing students to show creativity and critical thinking. Other methods which could be applied as continuous assessments and projects, in this way, we are not only encouraging students to think creatively but also promote their ability to gather data and information. For example, in Japan their educational system depends on scoring of the students’ teamwork behavior in the classroom. It seems to me that method is really up-to date and can help the educational process. Had I been to choose which type of tests for my children, I would have chosen continuous assessment methods.

To conclude, although many people still stick to the old methods of examination, the modern methods have its merits as enhancing creativity and should be implemented as much as possible.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Please evaluate my task 2, my 4 try on 03/06

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

The example of Egypt does not mean other countries use the same system.

The example of Japan is unclear, particularly the use of 'depends on'.

There are a lot of grammatical errors and this may sometimes contribute to a lack of clarity (see above). Some sentences are too long (second main paragraph, second sentence) which can lead to a further lack of clarity.

The basis for a good essay is here, but it needs to rewritten with particular attention to grammar and ideas/examples.

All the best,
David
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Please evaluate my task 2, my 4 try on 03/06

Post by Flick »

raghadmamd wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 am Many people believe that formal “pen and paper” examinations are not the best method of assessing educational achievement.
Discuss this view and give your own opinion.

Education is the most powerful weapon the can be used to change the world. The best way of evaluating students' progress has been hotly debated. Many people argue that conventional “pen and paper" exams are still the best method of assessment. I strongly believe that there are more modern ways for the appraisal of academic achievement.

For many people, the sole method of assessment should be formal “pen and paper” tests at the end of each semester. They claim that this type of test will fairly evaluate the degree of academic achievement and how well the student comprehends the curriculum. The total degree of the test depends mainly on how many questions attempted and done right by the student.(<--Reword to: "The overall result of the test depends mainly on how many questions are correctly answered by the student.") To illustrate, the education board in Egypt has adopted formal examination in different school grades from primary to tertiary education. This example makes it clear that many countries still trust this method of examination.

Despite the benefits of the old formal exams, many people feel that it is the ideal time to try althernative methods of assessment because conventional tests depend mainly on rote-learning, and do not allow students to show creativity and critical thinking. Other methods which could be applied are continuous assessments and projects. In this way, we are not only encouraging students to think creatively but also promote their ability to gather data and information. For example, in Japan, the educational system depends on scoring of the students’ teamwork behavior in the classroom. It seems to me that this method is really up-to date and can help the educational process. Had I been able to choose which type of tests my children took, I would have chosen continuous assessment methods.

To conclude, although many people still stick to the old methods of examination, the modern methods have their merits, such as enhancing creativity and should be implemented as soon as possible.