Please asses my academic writing on LONGER IMPRISONMENT

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
mik

Please asses my academic writing on LONGER IMPRISONMENT

Post by mik »

I would be really grateful if you can please review my writing task 2.

Some people think that the best way to reduce crimes is to apply longer prison sentences, other people think that there are better methods of doing so. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Crime rates are increasing despite the stringent laws and punishments prevailing in the society. Some people argue that lengthening the periods of imprisonment is the only way to deal with this rise in crime rate. Others, however, disagree. They believe that there are better and more creative ways for dealing with the issue. This essay will discuss both the points of view.

To begin with, longer periods of imprisonment can only worsen the situation leaving alone the case of assassination, wherein, the criminal should be condemned of a lifetime imprisonment as they pose a serious threat to the society. Furthermore, the longer strict imprisonment can make the offenders of lesser intensity crimes- better termed as offences- redundant. This is because they would see no difference in the ways a crime and an offence is treated. The apt example of this would be similar kinds of punishment given to both a thief and a killer. Consequently, giving a rise to the already high crime rates.

However, this consequence could be avoided by implementing alternative methods along with existing penalties for offenders. That being said, it is obligatory that the individual can reform from the punishments levied upon rather than just suffer. Additionally, it also gives him an opportunity to eradicate the circumstances that led him to conduct the mal-activity in the first place. Firstly, doing community services can be offered to some offense holders, giving them a chance to repay back to the society, meanwhile, also experiencing the joy of fulfillment by helping others; other case could be to offer paid services under government initiatives to, possibly, be a thief so that he can benefit his financial needs using fair methods. Yet another option could be to send them to rehabilitation centers and also arrange for workshops that can instill the basic essential values of life such as discipline and honesty. This alternative thinking can support to bring a positive change in the society at large.

To conclude, I strongly believe that extending the time spent behind the bars does not serve the purpose, excluding the serious crime holders. Alternatively, taking advantage of other methods to the existing punishments can turn the circumstances around.

Thanks.