Are you taking the IELTS for immigration purposes?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Ryan

Are you taking the IELTS for immigration purposes?

Post by Ryan »

I'm curious how many people on these boards are taking the IELTS for the purpose of immigration. Please share a bit about your story, the difficulties you've encountered and how you've overcome them. Perhaps in sharing our stories, we can help others facing the same challenges.
delvydavis

Re: Are you taking the IELTS for immigration purposes?

Post by delvydavis »

Well, I am taking IELTS for migrating to Australia. Still the process is going on. IELTS 7 in each module is mandatory for me to continue the process. Hopefully, I can achieve it on the next attempt on 09 Nov
PAST IELTS:
(09-06-2012) L-7,R-6.6,W-5.5,S-8.5 ; Overall-7.0
(06-07-2013) L-6.5,R-7,W-5.5,S-6.5 ; Overall-6.5
(21-09-2013) L-6.5,R-6.5,W-7.5,S-7; Overall-7.0
(07-12-2013) L-8.0,R-7.0,W-7.5,S-8.5 Overall-8.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFn4S3z_WO4
petryworn

Post by petryworn »

hi delvydavis are you taking the General Training module?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Delvy,

According to your signature, your most recent results (that you know of) are L-6.5,R-6.5,W-7.5,S-7. This is a little curious, as most students struggle with the writing and speaking sections. Please share the strategies you are using to hone your reading and listening? Are you practicing daily? Are you keeping a log while actively listening/reading?
delvydavis

Post by delvydavis »

Hi Ryan,

Last time, I spend almost all my days (two months) in IELTS training. While keep practicing the listening and reading, I mainly concentrated in writing. I successfully completed Cambridge ielts 7,8 & 9 with very few mistakes in listening and reading. I was confident last time that I will success. But Unfortunately, the listening and reading tests were so difficult.

I couldn't find the answers for any of the multiple choice questions (almost 8 questions continuously) and missed few in the last part.

Same the case with reading, the answers for the last part was unable to trace out, which had 6 paragraph questions (find out the paragraph which contains the information given)

Hi petryworn, yes I am taking IELTS general training.
PAST IELTS:
(09-06-2012) L-7,R-6.6,W-5.5,S-8.5 ; Overall-7.0
(06-07-2013) L-6.5,R-7,W-5.5,S-6.5 ; Overall-6.5
(21-09-2013) L-6.5,R-6.5,W-7.5,S-7; Overall-7.0
(07-12-2013) L-8.0,R-7.0,W-7.5,S-8.5 Overall-8.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFn4S3z_WO4
bunni015

Post by bunni015 »

Hi Ryan,

Yes, I am taking IELTS for immigration purpose. I have already attempted once and could not make 7 in each module. I am planning to get a Australian PR.

Regards,
Bunni
kumar446

Post by kumar446 »

Hi Ryan,

I am taking IELTS General for migrating to Australia. I have tried for 5 times and was never able to score 7 in each.

Below are my scores:

Attempt1-->7.5(L),6(R),6.5(W),6.5(S)
Attempt2--> 6(L),5.5(R),7(W),7(S)
Attempt3--> 7(L),5.5(R),6(W),6(S)
Attempt4--> 8(L),6(R),6(W),6.5(S)
Attempt5--> 8(L),6(R),6.5(W),5.5(S)

Thanks,
Kumar
bunni015

Post by bunni015 »

kumar446 wrote:Hi Ryan,

I am taking IELTS General for migrating to Australia. I have tried for 5 times and was never able to score 7 in each.

Below are my scores:

Thanks,
Kumar
Hi Kumar,

Just keen to know your experiences regarding giving IELTS. Also, how did you handle and commit yourselves for IELTS preparation?

Regards
Bunni
kumar446

Post by kumar446 »

bunni015 wrote:
kumar446 wrote:Hi Ryan,

Below are my scores:

Thanks,
Kumar
Hi Kumar,

Just keen to know your experiences regarding giving IELTS. Also, how did you handle and commit yourselves for IELTS preparation?

Regards
Bunni

hi Bunni,

I was in false assumption that once score 7 in each band without any preparation.I have never prepared for any exam or put any efort.I used just book my exam and then try it.But after all the attempts i understood that it is not possible to get dream score until we work hard.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to write my exam again n the month of DEC14, If you intrested we can practise speaking on skype,what do you say?

Thanks,
Kumar
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi guys,

Kumar, your experience is a little unique in that you are struggling with the reading section. Typically, it is writing or perhaps speaking that hold test takers back. How are you preparing? Are you engaging practice tests regularly?
myplace2100

Post by myplace2100 »

Hello friends
I am also trying hard to get band 8 in each module ! as i don't have sufficient work experiences.
Question - does anyone know well about skill assessment without work experiences? as i can qualify to 60 points without work experiences by getting 8 in IELTS test.

Kindly share if anyone went through the migration application/pre-application process along with skill assessments after you qualified to 60 points

Best Wishes,
Mridul samadder
tarunchhabra

Post by tarunchhabra »

Hello Ryan,

I am Tarun Chhabra, I am a temporary Resident in Australia. I have appeared IELTS exam on many occasions.
My last two results were
Listening 8.0 Reading 6 Writing 7 Speaking 7.0
Listening 7.5 Reading 6.5 Writing 7.0 Speaking 6.5

I have to attain Overall Band score of 7 in Academic part. ( in each section).
My next exam is on the 21st November.

There is a high volatility and variations in my band score. Please advice

Regards
Tarun Chhabra
fzrashid

Post by fzrashid »

I am taking the IELTS Exam for Australian Immigration and for me to get sufficient points for residency, I need to score 8 in each band. I have appeared for the IELTS exam only once and that was without any preparation and I scored L8, R7.5,W6,S7.5. Now that I know what the exam is like, with ample amount of preparation, I am hopeful to get the required score. Oh, and I plan to sit for the next exam by the end of April.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

tarunchhabra wrote:Hello Ryan,

I am Tarun Chhabra, I am a temporary Resident in Australia. I have appeared IELTS exam on many occasions.
My last two results were
Listening 8.0 Reading 6 Writing 7 Speaking 7.0
Listening 7.5 Reading 6.5 Writing 7.0 Speaking 6.5

I have to attain Overall Band score of 7 in Academic part. ( in each section).
My next exam is on the 21st November.

There is a high volatility and variations in my band score. Please advice

Regards
Tarun Chhabra
Hi Tarun,

Based on the info you have posted here, your marks aren't all that volatile. Variation by a half band is normal. Keep pushing yourself. I'm sure you will achieve band 8 across the board soon.
kyliemiriam

Post by kyliemiriam »

Hey, my name is Brian and I am doing the IELTS for immigration purpose.

I studied in Perth, Western Australia as an overseas student. When I graduated from university, I planned to apply for permanent residency so I took the IELTS test for three times but failed to get 7 in each module. I missed by half a point in one of the modules. As it is taking longer for me to wait, I decided to go back to Hong Kong to gain my CPA qualification first. However, the immigration system has been changed drastically since I have gone back to Hong Kong.

I took the IELTS last December and got Reading 8.5, Listening 7, speaking and writing 6.5. I realized what went wrong in speaking and I will focus on writing a bit more this time. My target band is 8 for each module.

I am taking IELTS in 15/2 which is next Saturday, hopefully I can improve from my last attempt.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the background on your situation. I hope things work out for you next Saturday. Band 8 in every section is a tall order, but it can be achieved with enough preparation. Please share your experience with us after the exam.

Ryan
markm

Post by markm »

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark. I will be sitting the IELTS academic test on the 15th March in order to have my accountancy qualification (ACCA) assessed by an Australian accountancy body (CPA) for immigration purposes. I hope to use this site to achieve the highest score I can (I would like to achieve an 8 in all disciplines to maximise the points available) and from my initial look, it looks like it certainly will!

Thanks,

Mark.
markm

Post by markm »

I was wondering as a speaker of English since birth how much work will I need to achieve a score of 8 in speaking? Does this require trying to speak like Russell Brand for 10-15 minutes??? :lol:
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

markm wrote:I was wondering as a speaker of English since birth how much work will I need to achieve a score of 8 in speaking? Does this require trying to speak like Russell Brand for 10-15 minutes??? :lol:
Native speaking household or second language speaker :-)?
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

I am taking IELTS for immigration to Australia.
Attempt 1(03-09-2013): L-7.5, R-8, W-6, S-6.
I am going to take another one next week (on March 8,2014).

Crazy "7 for each". I guess that's how they make money: give you hope and ruin you ruthlessly!
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
OnlineEnglishTeacher

allen_zhang wrote:I am taking IELTS for immigration to Australia.
Attempt 1(03-09-2013): L-7.5, R-8, W-6, S-6.
I am going to take another one next week (on March 8,2014).
From my experience it is much easier for students to get "average 7", than 7 for each section.

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
swetam

Post by swetam »

Hey friends,

I am Sweta & am giving my IELTS 3rd time for getting Aussie PR. My score is as follows:

Attempt 1st: L:7.5; R: 6.5; W: 7.5; S: 6.5 (British Council)
Attempt 2nd: L:6.5; R: 6.5; W: 6.5; S: 7 (IDP)
Attempt 3rd: on 5th April, 2014.(British Council)

To get desired points I need to have 7 bands for each module. :( & coz of which my process got delayed. I have got study material of IELTS 6,7,8 & 9.

So far i have done 1 mock test & have scored L: 34 & R: 33. Really worried how to i go ahead with my studies to be consistent & increase my score.

Regards,

Sweta
OnlineEnglishTeacher

swetam wrote:Hey friends,

I am Sweta & am giving my IELTS 3rd time for getting Aussie PR. My score is as follows:

Attempt 1st: L:7.5; R: 6.5; W: 7.5; S: 6.5 (British Council)
Attempt 2nd: L:6.5; R: 6.5; W: 6.5; S: 7 (IDP)
Attempt 3rd: on 5th April, 2014.(British Council)

To get desired points I need to have 7 bands for each module. :( & coz of which my process got delayed. I have got study material of IELTS 6,7,8 & 9.

So far i have done 1 mock test & have scored L: 34 & R: 33. Really worried how to i go ahead with my studies to be consistent & increase my score.

Regards,

Sweta
For Writing, you can consider if your handwriting is clear (and fast) - also, you can analyse your text to see if you are repeating the essay question vocabulary or your own: "http://www.textfixer.com/tools/online-word-counter.php".

swetam

Post by swetam »

Thanks a lot. I will definitely put my writing tasks on this link that you have sent. :)
shweta1984

Post by shweta1984 »

Hi Folks,

I am taking IELTS for immigration to Australia as well. I have to score 7 in each section. Unfortunately last two time I failed to achieve so. This is the third time i have attempted this test and hoping to get 7 in each as paper was not too very difficult except writing and true,false, not given questions in reading that appeared twice.

Attempt 1st Results:

L-6.5,r-6.5,w-7,s-7= 6.5

Attempt 2nd Results:

L-6, r-7, w-5.5, s-7= 6