30 sec time in Listening

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Gelever

30 sec time in Listening

Post by Gelever »

Hi, again!
I'm wondering if I can spend 30-sec time (given for revising answers) for a section to look at questions from the next section?
What exactly am I allowed to do? For example, can I spread all the pages of all sections out and read questions from the very beginning when an announcer starts to read the introductory text (I've already learned all the instructions by heart :D ) in order to learn as much questions as I can, and thus get better prepared for the listening itself?
Will I receive a penalty for that otherwise (in case all described above is forbidden)?
The question came up from this discussion.http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/viewtopic.p ... 455#p18455
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: 30 sec time in Listening

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Gelever,
Another great question! You can do what you like during those 30 second breaks. I have frequently seen candidates looking at the next section and during the last break at the end of section 4 most candidates start writing answers on the answer sheet.
At the beginning of the test you may only open the test paper when the voice on the CD tells you - never before! (I'm sure you know that, but I'd just like everyone reading this to be clear.)
All the best,
David
Prams

Post by Prams »

Hi David,

Thanks for your prompt response!
One more thing I would like to know regarding the speaking test.
Could you please tell us, if the audio for the speaking test is being played as soon as we are allowed to open the question booklet, or we will be given some time beforehand?

Thanks!
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Prams,
I think you mean the listening test (there is no audio played in the speaking test) and, as I mentioned in my previous answer, you MUST wait for the voice to tell you to open the test booklet.
David
Prams

Post by Prams »

My bad! Yes, I meant listening test only.

Thanks,
Prams