Delay in ielts results

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Urvashi Singh

Delay in ielts results

Post by Urvashi Singh »

Hi, I have taken my ielts test on 21st oct 2016(speaking) and 22nd oct 2016(LRW) and my results were supposed to be declared on 4th Nov 2016, but it kept on delaying and now it's 3 months I haven't received my results. I called the British Council customer care several times and wrote many emails but, every time I got only one reply that my papers have been selected randomly for the quality control procedures and you have to wait till the given date. Because of this I lost my admission for Feb intake at University of Adelaide. What should I do because I don't even know the exact reason for the delay in declaration of my results. Should I wait till the next date or book another exam?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Delay in ielts results

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Unfortunately, this seems to be becoming more common, particularly with tests taken in India and China. Quite a lot of candidates have their results delayed slightly beyond two weeks because of a discrepancy between their personal results, e.g. reading/writing, speaking/listening. However, this is normally resolved very quickly. In most countries (excluding India and China!) this check is completed within the 2-week period, so candidates don't even notice it.

There have been cases of suspected cheating (again, particularly in India and China) and checking these results can take longer as they are checked in the UK/Australia.

I can't really offer any advice beyond 'send a polite email'. However, I would warn all candidates that taking your test at the last minute is a really bad idea. Take your test way before you actually need to! (e.g. 6 months). Taking your test in a country with a lower demand may also be a good, but expensive, option.

Let us know what happens!

All the best,
David