Understanding Task Response

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
sweetypatel

Understanding Task Response

Post by sweetypatel »

Essay Topic: "Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets in some countries, many small, local business are unable to compete. Some people think that the closure of local business will bring about the death of local communities."

Task response is one of the criteria for an evaluation of writing. My question is in above essay topic, Do I need to argue for first sentence(Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets in some countries, many small, local business are unable to compete.) or only second sentence(Some people think that the closure of local business will bring about the death of local communities.) or both.

If I have to write for both, how can I organize it?

I am confused because topic indicates the death of local communities due to the closure of local business which is because of expansion of supermarkets.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Understanding Task Response

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

In this case, you must clearly discuss both points, as they are related.

The fact that you are confused may indicate that you do not see the connection between the closure of small shops and the effects on the community. You may be right - there may be little or no effect.

A few points to consider, whatever your opinion ...
1. employment
2. service in shops
3. prices
4. reduced number of 'traditional' family-run businesses

All the best,
David
sweetypatel

Re: Understanding Task Response

Post by sweetypatel »

Thanks David.

:)